1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Complete freeze when I select an OS from boot menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spoovy, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoovy

spoovy Thread Starter

I did have a working installation of Windows XP SP3 on sda1, and Debian GNU/Linux on sda3. I decided to multi-boot Windows Server 2003 RC2 on a spare partition (sda5).

Initially the W2K3 installer picked up XP but not Debian - as I expected - leaving me with a choice of XP or W2K3 when I rebooted. W2K3 booted fine, but XP took a long time to get to desktop, about three minutes. But it did get there in the end.

I reinstalled grub(2) to the MBR as I always planned to do, knowing that it would pick up the active Windows installation (still XP as it turns out).

It did pick it up. So when booting I now get a grub menu with two choices - "Debian" or "Windows (loader)". The Debian option boots Debian fine. The "Windows (loader)" option takes me to a submenu with XP and W2K3 on. This menu worked, ONCE - to load XP - but since I closed that session the Windows boot submenu no longer works.

Now when I get to the submenu I can move between the options with arrow keys, but as soon as I try to select one or the other the screen freezes. No ability to do anything to recover. I can press F8 to select recovery options but it always takes me back to the boot submenu and the freezing problem again.

I currently can't get into XP or W2K3, so any help on this very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

spoovy

..additional

my boot.ini from XP -

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff

2. spoovy

spoovy Thread Starter

Sorted this in the end by reinstalling W3K3 over the existing installation without reformatting it first. Must've replaced a corrupted boot file or somthing, and I kept all my files and settings.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice