1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Complete lock up - no BSOD, no errors

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by no fear, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Hi all,

Occasionally I am getting a complete freeze on my machine with no error message or BSOD. During the freeze I've noticed the following:

Sometimes the circle 'thinking/working' curser is still animated, whereas nothing else on the screen is (flash adverts, typing curser, etc)

Caps lock, scroll lock and number lock all stop working, but F-LOCK still turns its light on and off when pressed. No other keys or buttons on he keyboard work.

The machine has to be manually restarted and is fine again once it boots (I do, however, get 'windows did not shut down properly...do you want to start in safemode' message on boot)

At the moment, I can't find anything which can recreate the problem. It doesn't appear to be a particular piece of software that causes the crash.

I have recently upgraded motherboard, RAM and video card, but the instabilities were before these updates (I have carried out a RAM test and it appears fine)

I reinstalled windows yesterday, but I am still getting the freeze...as far as I can tell, it normally happens if I click on a link or a button or something. What I mean is, I don't think I've ever wiggled the mouse and it's been frozen...it's when I, for example, open a new tab or click the back button in my browser (but not always browser related)

Is there any crash log that would be created? I highly doubt it, as the whole machine seems to die, making it unlikely it still has any way of processing anything. But if one is created (or anything which will give me any clues), does anyone know where I can find these?

Thanks!!!

Colin

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer should throw some light on the matter - possibly in the System or Application logs.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx

Sounds like a bad power supply.

4. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Right, I'm back!

The Event Viewer doesn't show anything out of the ordinary - just the normal services stopping and starting...nothing that jumps out as being a problem causer...

My PSU is the only piece of kit I haven't replaced lately, which has reminded me of something...

My New graphics card (GTS250) needed 2 power inputs (I forget what they're called...but they are the 3x2 plug similar to the motherboard power connection...I'll call it a 6-pin connector)

Now, my PSU didn't have any of these 6-pin PSU connectors, so I had to use 2 converters (molex to 6-pin).

My PSU is OCZ 600W StealthXStream - I did a rough calculation and my rig surely cant be pulling more than 500W...can it?

One other thing - my CPU fan does unfortunately blow its exhaust virtually directly into the PSU - however I thought with it being moving air and not TOO hot, it shouldn't be a problem?

Sphinx, could you let me know why you think it's a bad PSU? I'm starting to think the same way as you - but only because that's the only bit of kit I haven't changed for a couple of years. Would be nice to get to the bottom of this!

Many thanks,

Colin

5. w7pro

w7pro

I agree with this. Since you reinstalled the software, there's obviously no virus and it seems to be a hardware issue.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice