1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Completely black screen after error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VioletKittypaws, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VioletKittypaws

VioletKittypaws Thread Starter

Hi. I'm on an Asus notebookl X550Z laptop running windows 10 and it will no longer boot. Some facts to mention before: it has no battery, it runs off the charger, and its recently had a hard drive replacement. Brand new harddrive, replaced by my friends father. It's been working just fine for a good few months now, but last night I turned off my computer and set it down as I usually do. Unplugged it, everything was normal... I tried to turn it on today, and got a blue screen twice in a row. "Inaccessible Boot Device". After seeing it through second time, I tried again to reboot my computer to no avail. The screen is completely black, with no beeps or boot up signs. The only thing that seems to be happening is the fan is running. It is notable that the hard disk activity light flashes twice on bootup, and then turns off. The screen does not turn on at all. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Sounds like the hard drive has failed again.

Will it boot from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.​

3. VioletKittypaws

Hi, thanks for your response! I'm not really sure how I'd do this without computer access, but it's probably my only solution, hey? Oof... 100 dollar hard drive. Also, do you think this could simply be the result of the hard drive being installed poorly and coming loose or something of the sort?

4. VioletKittypaws

Update: I do happen to have an old USB drive with Windows 8, by the company CoreMicro. How do I go about booting my computer from this? I still have no access to the screen.

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

With the laptop powered off, hold down the [Esc] button and press the Power button. Do not release the [Esc] button until you see the Boot Device selection window. If your laptop has a CD/DVD drive and a hard drive, you should see them both listed. Use the Up/Down arrow keys to select the device to boot from then press [Enter].

At the bottom of the drive list, you should also see "Enter Setup". You could use this to enter the computer's CMOS/BIOS setup. Another way is to get directly into the CMOS/BIOS Setup is to hold down the [F2] key (insted of the [Esc] key) and power it on. Continue to hold down the [F2] key util you see the Setup screen. More info here: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008829/

--

Yes, on some laptops it is possible for a hard drive to come loose. On many ASUS laptops you can simply remove the hard drive cover on the bottom of the laptop to see if the hard drive has come loose.

--

If you are able to boot the computer from that old Windows 8 USB -- (hold down [Esc] key while powering on, then select USB) -- be sure you do NOT let it do anything and mess up your current installation of Windows on the hard drive.

6. VioletKittypaws

I can't launch to the USB in this way because my screen is completely black. It does not come on at any point. I checked my hard drive, and there doesn't seem to be wrong with it or the connection. I hooked my computer up to am HDMI, and the screen showed no signal. I have no idea what the problem is...

7. larryh10000

larryh10000

Hi VioletKittypaws,

If that should ever happen to one of my laptops the first thing I would it to is to open the system case (refer to your owners manual if necessary). I would remove the hard drive from the storage bay then place it back into the storage bay again so the drive connector pins fit snugly and it is in all the way. If it is wobbly in the storage bay I would make a spacer (find something that would fill the gap ie., a piece of plastic or wood that would make it fit tight and it could not back out and away from its connectors as it is being moved around. Plug the system back in and see if that fixes the problem. Good luck!

8. VioletKittypaws

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I've already seen to this, and it was not the solution :( I'm in a pickle

9. larryh10000

larryh10000

As your starring at the black screen, try hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. Does anything happen?

Are you getting any LED lights on the laptop case?

You should also try res-seating the RAM. If you do this and you have more than one stick of RAM I would suggest you remove then and replace one RAM stick at a time and try powering up the laptop each time.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  10. VioletKittypaws

Negatory. No response.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I really doubt the problem is with the hard drive itself. Even with a failed drive, you would still see either POST data or the mfg's splash screen when pw ON. Since you have already pulled the hd out, I would tend to think you have a problem with the motherboard OR perhaps a poor connection between the screen and board.
    Have you tried an external monitor to rule out a screen failure?

12. VioletKittypaws

Yes; an HDMI showed no signal. I highly doubt it's anything other than the motherboard at this point in time.

13. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Wow, starting to sound rather bleak.

When you had the HDMI monitor hooked up did you remember to toggle the laptop to use the external monitor ([Fn]+[F8]) ?

14. larryh10000

larryh10000

When you turn on the computer you can't get into the BIOS either I suppose to run some low-level diagnostic programs?

15. VioletKittypaws

Yes, I pressed FN and F8 to no avail.

No, the screen (and highly presumably the boot process) never starts.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice