1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Completely dead pc - anyone help ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frazzo, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frazzo

frazzo Thread Starter

I have what until recently was a rare problem with an old pc but it has now become permanent. It won't power up - no beeps no lights no fans no nothing. I have tried all the usual tricks - replaced battery, removed everything, replaced psu, tried it with nothing in, tried it with a few things in, bridged the power switch jumper. It does very rarely get power but there is no pattern. I don't mind buying a replacement mobo but if the cpu has gone I might just bin the lot. It's a PII 266, chaintech 6LTM mobo. I'm on the verge of getting a mobo from ebay but if anyone can suggest anything else I would be grateful. Thanks
    Fraz

2. winbob

winbob

Without knowing the rest of the components, I can't tell you if it's worth investing another Nickel in this machine.

BUT the cost of a MOBO with Processor Chip that is BETTER than what you have is about the equivalent of a nice lunch for two! ;) :D

3. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

4. brite750

brite750

If you know how to do all that stuff and want to be really cheap just replace the mobo/cpu/ram, socket a moboz with out bells and whistles are $50, sempron with hsf $65, $30 for a 256 pc3200 ram, if you have a min 300w psu your good to go. Post the rest of your stuff if your interested.

5. frazzo

frazzo Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I have seen a couple of mob/cpu combys on ebay for around £20 so probably will go for that.
    The reason I want to continue with this pc is that it is not our main one but used for the kids to surf the web (connected to broadband via a LAN) and to burn CD's and play old games therefore I want to utilise the gear it has in it. Which is
    192 RAM (Crucial)
    CD Burner (NEC)
    1 x 6 GB HD Quantum bigfoot
    1 x 20 GB HD Seagate
    Nvidia GEforece 4 MX440 AGP Graphics (64MB)
    AWE 64 ISA Sound card
    15" TFT
    Network adaptor (Belkin PCI)
    WIN 98 SE (don't want to have to buy XP for that machine and it wouldn't run on it anyway)
    Seems a shame to bin it when I don't want anything more.
    One last thing - could one of the above components have caused the mobo/cpu to fail ? Only thing I could think of would be the AGP as it has always had a pci card (Voodoo 2000) in it until I upgraded my own card and put the 440 into the PC.
    My old CRT also packed up 2 weeks ago (kept switching itself on and off - screen was corrupted anyway) so I bought a 17" TFT for my pc and put the 15" TFT on the old PC
    I wouldn't want to buy a used mobo only to find I had a dodgy piece of kit that would blow the replacement mobo.
    Thanks again
    Fraz

6. brite750

brite750

the only dodgy piece of kit that has the potential of blowing the mobo would be the psu, if its new and enough watts it should be fine. I know what you mean about giving up on an old pc, i just recently fixed up 2 of my old pcz to give away to people who just need basic machines for internet, the only thing i can suggest is get your mobo and give it a try.

7. winbob

winbob

"the only dodgy piece of kit....."

Dang Brite, if I dint kno betta I'd swear yo was from the Liverpool side of Rochester NY!

8. brite750

brite750

yeah, I watch a lot of PBS

9. frazzo

frazzo Thread Starter

10. frazzo

frazzo Thread Starter

Thanks Brite,
    I took my CPU to the IT guys at work and they tested it for me on an old board and it works fine - so it looks like the mobo.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Fraz

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice