1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

completely erasing a hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by icemn45, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

i would like to donate one of my old pcs. i understand that there are scrubber(?) programs out there that will do a complete job of erasing the drive. that way no information can be retrieved from it. we had a lot of personal, and banking information on there that i want to make sure is gone for good. thx ahead of time. (and of course, free is better, but not necessary)

2. valis

valis Moderator

3. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

thx for the quick reply. it's exactly what i was looking for. it's very much appreciated

4. valis

valis Moderator

de nada.....what we're all here for. I actually use that app at work, where we donate about 10 laptops monthly out of my facility....I just use the freeware version, and while it's not DoD certified (the pay version is) I can't get anything off of the drives after it's gone through....

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. hammer1

hammer1

For all intensive purposes the above posts are correct. But Encase is forensis software that can retrieve data from hdd's that have been reformaed,overwritten, wiped clean etc.
    Happens everday at law enforcement agencies.
    Boils down to: How sacret is the personal data??

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How many people can afford to purchase that? They don't even list a price on their website so I would assume that it is not even affordable for most people. For the most part, a D.O.D. wipe does a pretty good job. Takes a long time and I am sure that even the best forencsics program can't get everything.

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi icemn45,

Usually, the Guttman method of deletion is preferred to completely erase a disk.

The following freeware Eraser can apply the Guttman method to erase the disk (it may take a while, but forensically, it should be clean):

Eraser: http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

-- Tom

9. valis

valis Moderator

Squashman: thanks for the links. If both are freeware, AND DoD compliant, think that's exactly what my powers that be are looking for.

v

10. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

thx for all this input. i feel more confident now about cleaning the hard drive. i really appreciate it. sorry i didn't get back sooner, i was on the road for work. someday, i hope to have a laptop to stay connected.

11. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi All,

Just a quick note: The Guttman method is way more stringent than the DoD compliance standard which only requires 7 passes. So, if you are really paranoid, use Guttman.

-- Tom

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine any scenario here that requires more than the DOD erase...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice