1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Completely Frozen - Pointer Won't Move

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AustinM, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinM

AustinM Thread Starter

In cleaning up my laptop, I accidentally deleted something I wanted - but I didnt' realize it for a couple weeks.

No problem, system restore.

Started doing system restore operations, trying to find the exact point I wanted to go back to. I probably did 4 or 5 restore operations. A couple times I did a reverse operation, but not everytime. Guess I did one too many...

I am now able to turn the computer on, and it'll get to the user selection screen. Can't get past that point. The computer has a touchpad - with a blue light to indicate it's on. The blue light is off, and the touchpad is not functional, nor can I turn it on. External mouse plugged doesn't work.

The laptop will go into setup mode (F2)... but I don't see any nifty options to help me.

The laptop will start up in safe mode, and I get to the same login screen (with the additional option of logging in as the administrator) - and the mouse still won't move.

When I get to the user selection screen, the only button that works is the OFF button.

What do I do? What're my options?

Laptop is a Compaq Presario 2500
    WinXP Home (XP pro on order...)
    2.6GHz
    1gb (512x2) 333 DDR SDRAM
    Built in 802.11b/g
    80gb hard drive, installed about 6 months ago
    DVDRW drive, installed about 6 months ago

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Please remember that system restore only restores Windows system files (hence the name) and not any file that you create/download/delete unless its directly related to the Windows operating system.

It sounds like the multitude of system changes have damaged Windows, I would opt for a reinstall but selecting the Repair option.

Assume all critical files you need (documents etc) are backed up?

3. AustinM

AustinM Thread Starter

System Restore did restore several other non-windows programs - but it must have now corrupted a system file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/408120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice