1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Completely hanging computer before and after upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by exoduse22, Jun 18, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. exoduse22

exoduse22 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8174 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon RX 570 Series, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (90 GB Free); D: 465 GB (14 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8H61-M LE
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
    PSU: Seasonic SI2II Bronze

Good day,

Until recently this week, I never had a GPU and only used a generic PSU. But just 3 days ago, I bought a GPU and a good quality PSU.

I am totally at a loss here. I have been having problems with my computer for several years now.

What happened before the upgrade:
    - My computer would instantly hang and then the screen would shatter (showing lines). 1-2 years ago, this occurrence would be accompanied by a loud repeating sound when I was playing a game for instance, but not all the time 90% of the time, the screen would just freeze. This can occur even on the simplest of tasks, not necessarily playing games, but more demanding games causes more hangs based on my observation.
    - There were a few instances were it instantly rebooted instead of hanging.
    - On half of the instances, a Blue screen of death (BsoD) would just appear and show a huge variety of error messages everytime.

This happened last year and stopped appearing for about 6-8 months, then started appearing 1-2 weeks ago on a intermittent basis. Probably since 1-2 weeks ago, it would occur 1-3 times every 1 to 2 days. I never cleaned my computer for about 5-7 years until I decided to get a GPU and PSU wherein I opened my computer and cleaned all the components.

Removed the fan facing the motherboard, cleaned the fan, heatsink, and motherboard of dust. Also removed the thermal paste, then re-applied and re-attached. The rams were very dirty, there were layers of dust in the ram to the point the circuits were covered in dust. I thought this was the problem and I cleaned it carefully with a dry tissue paper until 95-99% of the dust were clear. I also cleaned the other fan at the back of my CPU.

So basically, the only thing I did not clean is my generic power supply because I was thinking of replacing it anyway.

After the upgrade:
    - My computer would still hang, but this time my screen would simply Freeze the most recent image in my screen, then after about 5-10 seconds my monitor will completely lose signal and not detect anything from my computer. My keyboard still works when I press caps lock for a few moments after the screen has turned black, then after that it will also stop taking in any input. I cannot do anything, but restart the computer.
    - The first instance it hanged after I got the GPU just yesterday, is that when I restart my computer after the freeze, my optical drive suddenly opened. My optical drive never opens, also pressing the button does not even open it because it is broken. So I was shocked it opened even. I doubt it is the PSU that is the culprit because this is a brand new Seasonic power supply and I have been having freezing problems before I even upgraded.

So I did a "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and it ran the "Standard" tests once then rebooted and said it had no problems encountered. But only for about 15 minutes and did not do any memtest yet. So right now I will test the RAM more using memtest, and I can only think of either defective motherboard or defective processor. I'm not sure if my hard drive can be a culprit because I never have corrupted files despite it being extremely slow. Also, most of the time, my computer is slow at right clicking or loading things or starts to get sluggish because disk utilization where it gets capped out at 100% at many instances. Sometimes it gets capped with just a low usage of memory--oddly.

So I am wondering what my computer's problem is. Also, I am worried that my new GPU and PSU might get damaged from a possible defective motherboard, processor, ram, or hard drive. As most of these are probably about 6-8 years old or more.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. exoduse22

exoduse22 Thread Starter

Does anyone have any idea on this? I do not know much about computers and how to know which component has failed.

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Did you install the new drivers for your RX570? Did your computer come with Win 10 or was it installed from scratch or an Up-grade

4. exoduse22

exoduse22 Thread Starter

I went to amd's site and they had an auto detect of videocard software. I used that and it should have installed the drivers as well. My win10 was upgraded but used an activator I believe

5. exoduse22

exoduse22 Thread Starter

Ran Furmark at 1920 x 1280 resolution and fullscreen at 4x to 8x anti-alliasing for 30 minutes. No problems encountered. Will run aida64 and memtest to check the CPU and Ram. Any suggestions guys?

6. exoduse22

exoduse22 Thread Starter

I really need help. How to know if the GPU I bought is not defective? I ran Furmark and nothing happened. I ran Aida64 for 30 mins nothing happened. So far my PC hanged 10 times in the last 2 weeks and it is ONLY during games. Csgo, rust, dota2, and pubg. On normal browsing/youtube/idle it never hangs

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Have you run Memtest yet? (and for several hours if not overnight)

8. tintex

tintex

First Name:
    Jermie
    You state you didn't clean the PC after several years of accumulating dirty. Well you know that electronics generate heat and the dirt or dust is not helpful. I would check the mother board for burnt components.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Asus makes some fine motherboards however yours is not one of them. When you see LE in the model# it stands for light edition [I call it low end] That is a motherboard designed for basic use ie running office, web access, etc NOT running a gaming type video card.
    I did notice on the support page that there is a bios update that addresses video card compatibility. Are you running the latest bios?

I doubt installing the video card is going to fix the problem and [IMO] it is not cost effective to attempt to fix 8yr old hardware.

10. exoduse22

exoduse22 Thread Starter

I ran prime95 on the 3rd setting (Blend) today. This alternates heavy CPU and heavy RAM usage and my CPU temperatures were averaged at 80C. I didn't run it for 12 - 24 hrs, but only for 5 hrs. But upon checking, CPU was always at 100%, and ram was always around 98%. So I would say it partially did what memtest86 would have tried to see. But i'll run memtest86 tomorrow probably overnight. Burning my CPU and RAM to their limits for 5 hours has not done any crashes so far.

I've just installed MSI afterburner today and everytime I game, i'll have that on-screen display on. So when it crashes I have a snapshot of the GPU temps/CPU temps and ram usage the moment it totally freezes--shortly before monitor loses signal and turn black

Also, for the burnt components, can I visually inspect that myself?

And perhaps the last 2 posts suggests I get a new motherboard. I will consider it after I cannot find the root cause of the issues.

As for the bios, i'll check that out I don't remember performing any updates on the motherboard of any sort or not aware if there was any auto updates. Not accustomed to these things

I will do the torture test of Prime95 once more and do it for 24 hours. If it doesn't freeze and black out. I'll run the memtest86 overnight if it doesn't break again. I'll remove my GPU and use my PC and game as always until something happens. If nothing happens for at least a month. Then i'll conclude the seller just sold me a defective brand new GPU. If it does happen still, i'd say the board was broken or the seller sold me a defective power supply

Do you guys think this sounds like a good plan?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  11. tintex

tintex

First Name:
    Jermie

Sounds like a plan! And yes you can physically inspect the mother board your self. Just make sure power is off and precaution is taken to prevent electrostatic discharge...have a good one!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice