1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Complex PC issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CymbolicPsi, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CymbolicPsi

CymbolicPsi Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to repair my mom's Compaq Presario SR1950NX, which has a couple of conflicting problems:

1) Not recognizing USB/PS2 mouse or keyboard even during POST
    *Occasionally, a PS2 keyboard will work, but that pretty much only happens when the system decides to boot into the OS. And that brings me to...

2) Only boots into the OS *sometimes*
    *By "sometimes", I mean like once in every 15-20 boots or so. While WinXP and Win7 were loaded, I got the "corrupt/missing C:\\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe" error during most boots (started with XP, got that error; installed 7, still got the error), but every once in a while, I could get all the way to the OS, but the mouse wouldn't work and the [PS2] keyboard sometimes would and sometimes wouldn't work . Today I clean-installed Win8 (with a PS2 keyboard and no mouse) to see if that would fix the problem, but no dice. After the manufacturer splash screen, the system displays a blinking cursor on an otherwise blank screen and just sits. Also, since the input devices don't work, I can't see or change the BIOS settings.

Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated, as I have been working on this thing for almost 2 months. :-/

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How are those problems "conflicting"?

Can you get into BIOS setup and try default settings?

3. CymbolicPsi

Can't get into BIOS settings because the keyboard won't work (tried PS2 and all available USB ports). And according to everyone I've talked to and most things I've read online, I need to get into the OS to fix the input problems, hence why I say these seem to be "conflicting" issues.

4. CymbolicPsi

Well, the times that I'm able to get into the OS, I check the USB ports with a flash drive, and the system recognizes it from all ports... Also checked the input devices on another machine with no failures.

5. CymbolicPsi

Since this is the first time I've encountered this type of issue and since my parents don't have the money to just throw down on new computer parts, I need to make sure that replacing the motherboard is the only option. Sorry if I'm wasting your time, but you don't have to be so snippy.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

The OS is not going to help you with this problem. The problem occurs long before the OS is involved at all in the operation of the machine. The problem is most likely hardware, and the first place to start on a hardware problem is BIOS. You may be able to clear the CMOS if you can find directions for doing so. That would at least give you default BIOS settings.

If you can't find directions, see if you can find the location of the CMOS battery. Disconnect all power and remove the battery for a few minutes. Then, replace it and see what happens when you try to start up.

7. CymbolicPsi

I've reset CMOS a few times. About a quarter of the time, the PC will boot into the OS after loading the BIOS defaults, but when it does, none of the inputs work and I can't get past the lock screen.

8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    CymbolicPsi, I have deleted your post, as it is totally unnecessary.

If you see issues with an individuals post, please use the report button, and not reply in the thread.

9. CymbolicPsi

Whatever. Your site, your rules.

I'm out.

10. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    PSAKay, Elvandil has left some very valid advice to attempt. I would suggest striving to exhaust all resources before simply telling someone to quit and give up. It always is better for helpers to offer as many suggestions/ helpful advice as possible.

If you have any questions, please contact a moderator/admin privately.

11. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    And your choice to respond accordingly.

Thread closed.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice