Complicated internet in a warehouse

baladio

I saw that someone was able to "bridge" a wifi connection by using a Verizon Jetpack for a wifi hotspot, then connecting to that hotspot with a laptop, then bridging that connection via ethernet to a router, then running ethernet from the router to individual other computers. But I am wondering, if I use this setup to run a crypto mining operation by connecting the router via ethernet to individual ASICs, can I then use that first laptop that's connected to the Jetpack wifi to access the web interface of the miners? I have to be able to configure and see statistics of the miners via web interface.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not more than one of the miners if you're using a router which can only perform NAT. The setup you're describing which I've used is called ICS or Internet Connection Sharing. It's a feature within Windows. So I'm assuming you're using Windows on this laptop. I don't know if ICS is built to handle more than one client on the wired/Ethernet side. I guess I can test this when I have a chance. If this is possible, you can connect a switch to the Ethernet port of the laptop and then plug your miners into this switch.

Another alternative is to get a router which will take a SIM card to connect into your cellular service. This is by far the cleanest and best way to do this. Cradlepoint makes routers with this capability. Their routers have built in Ethernet ports along with a built in wireless access point.

baladio

I think I will look into routers with sim card slots. The Cradlepoint brand seems to make expensive, enterprise-class routers; I saw one for $1800-plus. I'd rather just stick with something less than $200 with at least 4 ethernet ports, and I could then probably add a network switch if I wanted more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online