1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Complicated multi-operating system problem - HELP needed!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maracles, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a compact laptop bought second hand but has problems.

1) Firstly when it is switched on it asks to choose between either windows 98 or windows 2000 pro (the one i want to use)

2) On loading up windows 2000 it works fine however when i try to use many options such as; volume control, disk cleanup, msconfig, majority of .exe files etc it says "access to file denied" or "cannot find the file "xxx". make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available" - this is despite the file it is looking for being the one I want to use.

3) On searching futher I noticed that in my computer along with the usual WINDOWS directory. I have 2 other operating system folders in their entirity. WindowsNT and Windows 98 - I think that having all systems on my computer must be reason for it not working

4) I have tried to uninstall windows 98 using its own uninstall program however get the message "cannont find "xxx" etc

5) I have a feeling the windowsNT is just cd contents and ahs not been setup properly and could therefore simply deleted but I ahve not done so just in case

6) If i begin the laptop ion windows 98 much more works, including sound etc, however the uninstall still does not.

7) Misc problem - I cannot install any more programs when running windows 2000.

Any help would be much appreciated, first time on the forum.

Thanks a lot.

2. Sponsor

3. Old Bob

Old Bob

maracles,

Need more details, did you get any CDs with this laptop ??
    Do you have any other operating system CDs ??

4. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Which details do you need?

I didnt get any cds with the compaq so I can't repair the operating system which i thought might be a problem.

I had a massively fragmented hardrive but iv cleaned it up and it's ok now althought the system files section is split in half.

Any other details you need ask for and i'll post very soon.

5. Ambictus

Ambictus

You need to get a hold of a cd, a re-install is pretty much your only option it sounds like. If you do get a hold of a CD find a program that will find your CD-Key for you(like magic jelly bean http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml) and make sure to write it down.

6. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Ah, ok.

Do you mean formatting my hardrive and then reinstalling, or just repairing? I don't want to have windows 98 or windows nt on my computer at all.

If I buy windows xp and install that would it overwrite all the other operating systems?

Thanks for all you help.

7. Stallcup

Stallcup

maracles: Please post information concerning the partitioning and formatting of your HDD. As you described your startup you have a dual-boot system, so you must be careful about deleting an OS for it can cause problems in booting. Your problems in accessing files, and your inability to install programs, do not seem to be necessarily related directly to the multiple operating systems, but it may be related to incompatible file systems. We need the partitioning and formatting information to see if it is part of the problem.

8. Old Bob

Old Bob

maracles,

It may depend on how "old" this Compaq is and how much memory it has, if you can install WinXP at all.

9. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

More than happy to post the information, what is the best way to find how its partitioned etc?

Also as for the pc specs I can't check. It wont let me look at them "access denied" etc again. Although I know I have 7gb free and pretty sure its 512 Ram

10. Old Bob

Old Bob

11. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Cheers, I looked at it. My comp can definately handle the specs. ALso noticed the install feature which wipes hard drive so could be more useful option if I have to buy a new OS.

I've saved all my documents that I need on my desktopc pc so if theres absolutely no way of fixing it as it is I'll install XP i think.

Cheers for the help.

12. Old Bob

Old Bob

maracles,

Your welcome, nice to get response.

13. Stallcup

Stallcup

Start/Run/type "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotations)/OK

In the left pane, select "Disk Management"

In the right pane you will find the requested information displayed for the HDD's

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice