1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Complicated Screen Capture

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by I Fix 4 U, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

I want to take a screenshot (but of an extended window - for which i use hypersnap dx 5) of a website (i use firefox) once every 30 minutes but the catch is I also want that webpage to be refreshed right before the next screenshot is taken.
    This is to ensure I get the 20k pageviews shot of a friend.

Is there an easy way to do this? Change of programs/methods are ok, as long as I can get that 20k shot even if im not at my computer

(normally this would involve me viewing the page, refreshing, takin a shot and waiting).

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

good that solves the reloading part. Now how can i repeat the task every so often in hypersnap? It works that I would normally press "Ctrl+Shift+X" and it would give me the dimensions I want it to snap. Then it would take a shot. I have to be there to do that. I will repeat the previous snap over and over, but it doesn't work for the entire window, just the last snap which is only the bottom of the window.
    How can I fix this?

(i really like that feature where it snaps beyond what the window shows on screen, that way I can snap the entire persons page, as opposed to "prt scr" just giving me whats visible)

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You could do it with a shell script if you used a different screen grab utility. You need a command line utility such as this one:
    http://pages.infinit.net/cclients/files/capture.htm

I don't know what you'll do about your indicated extended windows; just guessing, I would think that a grabber that grabs a window will grab the entire window, but I don't know for sure.

You could do this quite easily in Perl or Python; do you speak either language?

Using the Windows command line language you generate a batch file that would run the screen grabber, then get the current system time, then add the time increment to the current time, then tell the system (using the at command) to re-run itself at the specified time. It would be ugly, but it should work OK.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

In Hypersnap, look under Capture, Capture Settings, Quicksave tab. Youy can set how many captures you want, how you want the names incremented, and how many seconds to allow between captures.

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

I'd need longer instructions if i were to do it your way jiml8 :D

Elvandil, I had it set like that but tho the first capture ("Extended Active Window") where it would get most of the webpage and not just my screen, the ones that were takin after the first (automatically), it only shot the top of the page and most the area that I could view, not beyond that point like the first image where I had set it.

7. sekirt

sekirt

It has been my experience that if a website page requires scrolling in any direction, 99% of the screen capture programs will not do that.

iXneonXi
    Sorry can't offer anything. I have a freeware called Snap-It, that would capture what you want. But wouldn't help you, because it is all manual. Besides, seems to have disappeared from the net long ago.

sekirt

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

That's k, still looking for ways to do it,
    hypersnap will already take the rest of the window for me, so I can snap the whole page, but I have not figured out how to make it automatic *meh*

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/399931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice