1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

complicated start up problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by akin, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akin

akin Thread Starter

hello Im having considerable trouble with my computer. In an attempt to fix a modem issue , deleted or lost the vmm32.vxd file. Now everytime I start the computer it says file is not found or missing, something to that effect .

I would like to reinstall windows which I assume is on my recovery cd program but when I try to run that it says cdr101 is not reading drive m.

any advice will be appreciated.

2. steve091266

steve091266

Not sure if this helps or not, just did a search on my p.c. & I have this file in C:\Windows\System. 1020 KB, says it's a virtual device driver. Happy to e-mail a copy of it if that'll help.

Being new to this I'm sure one of the other guys will have an easier option!

Regards

Steve

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Unfortunately that's the one particular .vxd file can't be copied to different PCs. It's a .vxd file that built by Windows during setup and is unique to each PC.

What's the exact word for word message you get at startup? Is it this...

"VMM32.VXD: Missing/Unable to Load. Press any key to continue"

Or is it this ...

"VMM32.VXD is required to run Windows. If this file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall Windows.

4. akin

akin Thread Starter

it would be the second line Bryan .

thanks for the offer Steve, but I guess that wont work.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Assuming your running W95 or W98, restart the PC and keep pressing F8 during the bootup. You want to start tapping F8 after the drives are recognized on the screen but before the Windows splash screen appears. A startup menu with 6 options should appear. Use option 6, "SafeMode Command Prompt Only". Then at a c:\> prompt do this

dir vmm32.vxd /s

Does it find it?

6. akin

akin Thread Starter

no it says file is not found .

I have a windows boot up disl if that helps at all .

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    First save any data that you absolutely can't afford to lose to diskettes.

Then insert your Recovery CD into the CDRom drive and press alt/ctrl/del to restart the PC. It should boot to the Recovery CD and lead you through a reinstall.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

cdr101 is not reading drive m

That message is often caused by a dirty CD disk. Gently clean the recovery CD and see if it works now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice