1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Complicated strict NAT problem on Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Networking' started by quintox, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quintox

quintox Thread Starter

I'll try to make this short.

Situation:
    3 Xbox 360s
    1 Belkin N150 Connect router (F7D5301), hooks up a PC, 2 360s, and the router listed below
    1 Belkin Wirelss N router (F5D8236-4 V2) serving as access point, connects a 360 only.
    Getting strict NAT on Call of Duty Black Ops

We all connect to Live and even get in games fine, but sitting in lobby and if we are in a game and people get kicked, they usually don't connect new players. So while it's OK and we can still play, there are some annoyances.

Anyway, I've tried opening ports (which works once I go to re-test the connection through the Live dashboard, but then about 10 minutes later it goes back to strict), upgrading to latest firmware via website, even DMZ'd one of the Xboxes to no avail. I cannot figure out how to get these to Open.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: All 360s are wired connections.

2. srhoades

srhoades

You say you are using the FSD8236 as an access point, so you are not using the WAN porrect correct, just plugging into the LAN port from the incoming connection?

3. quintox

quintox Thread Starter

Yeah, but what would that have to do with NAT? Both routers work..?

4. srhoades

srhoades

Because if you are using the second router as a router, by have the first router plugged into its WAN port, and not an access point, then it creates a separate network and another layer of NAT.

If the second router is truly being used as an access point then all the port forwarding needs to be done from the FD75380.

5. srhoades

srhoades

And what is the make and model of your modem? If it is a modem/router combo and not strictly a modem then there is another layer of NAT.

6. quintox

quintox Thread Starter

The 1st router is incoming into the Modem port on the 2nd router. I understand how this could be strict NAT for the one Xbox that is connected to Router #2, but shouldn't the first 2 Xbox's still be Open?

(I did the port forwarding on Router #1)

7. quintox

quintox Thread Starter

I don't think it's the modem; I had an older Belkin router (G) and it was open NAT, once I switched to an N router, it went strict.

8. srhoades

srhoades

Do all the XBOX's have static IP's or does the router allow you to manage devices by their MAC addresses?

9. srhoades

srhoades

And I would still like to know the make and model of your modem.

10. quintox

quintox Thread Starter

It's a cable modem, no name, I looked everywhere. I have Charter. All I could find was this model #: U10C018

srhoades, thanks by the way, I appreciate the help

11. srhoades

srhoades

Can you double check the model and version number of the N150, I can't find that model anywhere.

12. quintox

quintox Thread Starter

Sorry
    F7D5301, thx!

13. srhoades

srhoades

Well the manual is somewhat lacking, so that was no help. Do you have UPnP enabled in the router?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice