1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Complicated zipping requirement

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nrg80, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nrg80

nrg80 Thread Starter

hi all,

I'm looking to constantly created updated zip files which need to pull files from one folder containing several thousand png files.

The key here is that I can predefine what files need to go to what zip file from an Excel list, but I don't know of a way to allocate accordingly, other than doing it manually, which isn't going to happen!

eg,

Im0001.png through to Im1000.png in the folder, and they need to be split to 4 separate archives. There's no sequence to the split, it's based on what country that image belongs to.

I'm looking at Pacquet Builder atm but I'm not sure it's got the functionality I'm looking for.

Hope I'm kinda making sense, any help would be very very appreciated.

2. Plantsman

Plantsman

3. nrg80

nrg80 Thread Starter

4. Plantsman

Plantsman

At the right side of the large white window you will see two icons both with a small yellow + sign. These are what you use to load in the files either by filename or wildcard.

5. nrg80

nrg80 Thread Starter

nah, I don't think you're following my original requirement. I need to be able to build according to a predefined list. ie, 1000 images, 250 each belonging to England, Scotland, France and Italy. There is no pattern to the ownership, but I can extract this data out of Excel. What I need to be able to do is input that list into an app which will zip only those files.

Sorry if I'm not making sense.

6. Plantsman

Plantsman

In that case I guess I can't help further, best of luck in your quest.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Does zipping png files actually save any space?

8. nrg80

nrg80 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help anyway :)

Not really, but in the context I'm working in it doesn't matter. I need a way of archiving by the country the images belong to, in order to release content to the public in a manageable manner.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice