1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Component video cables

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by wolvpato, Oct 21, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. wolvpato

wolvpato Thread Starter

Can I use my old RCA analog cables to hookup my dvd player in the video component jacks? Is there a difference in the component cables and RCA cables?

2. Gibble

Gibble

Allthough Component cables use RCA Plugs I don't know if they will work properly. Component cables are very high quality so there is no/very little loss/interference compared to regular RCA cables.

Yes component cables are expensive but from what I can see they are worth it :)

3. wolvpato

wolvpato Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

Actually, expensive cables are the biggest ripoff going today on the market. As long as the cables are insulated (almost all are), they will work just fine--just buy the cheapest ones. Just try them and see if they work. Then go down to your local audio/visual store and buy the expensive ones and see if there is a difference (you'll almost certainly see none). Then you can just return the expensive cables.

5. Gibble

Gibble

heh, just like there is no difference b/w cable and satellite quality :rolleyes:

Get a bigscreen TV and you'll see how poor cable quality is...

bigscreens make flaws very apparent.

But I get things like good cables and such thrown in free when I purchase my TV/DVD/whatever, it's called dealing :)

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, your talking about the difference between digital and analog, not the quality of the cabling. Trust me--as long as a cable is insulated from interference (and just about every one is), then there is no difference between the most expensive and the cheapest. But if you want to buy $50 Monster cables go ahead. I buy the cheapest ones money can buy (usually a few bucks) and they work just the same as the $50 Monster cable.

7. Gibble

Gibble

Maybe I'm just picky Mulder, but I notice the differences. Albeit small, but they are there :)

8. gws226

gws226

I think its based on the application....

Average Joe TV/DVD/Home theatre.... you should be fine with the lower end stuff

Once you get into some of the more top of line stuff.... You will probably discover a noticable difference between the cheap stuff and the good stuff.

To answer you initial question... YES... your old RCA cables should work... if you discover low quality or video... that should be the first place you look to upgrade.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice