Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Compress drive to save disk space"

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sharky 
#1 ·
Doing some maintainence on my computer, i am considering doing this option: "Compress drive to save disk space". There is also a "compress old files" to save space

are these both the same things? (same drive)

can i undo this options? im a big fan of reformatting to undo problems in the event its challenging to undo compress a file.

thanks

#2 ·
I wouldn't suggest selecting the option to compress the entire drive. That sometimes can cause some trouble. However if you like you can try it. And should you change your mind just untick it, and it will uncompress just as easily...BUT, if you try it, be prepared that your system may not reboot. Some files shouldn't be compressed.

Yes, the "compress old files" is a much better option to use. However, every-so-often, I've seen people run into trouble using this option, too. But everybody's system is different.

#4 ·
At at command prompt:

compact /c [directory or filename] compresses a file or directory.

compact /u [directory or filename] uncompresses.

compact /c /s:dir [directory] compresses all files in the directory and all subdirectories of directory "dir", or of the current directory if "dir" is not specified.

#5 ·
About "compress old files". i did it and system is doing fine and faster

About "compress the entire drive". Anything that might make my computer not boot,i stay away from.

thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.