1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Compress drive to save disk space"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sharky, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

Doing some maintainence on my computer, i am considering doing this option: "Compress drive to save disk space". There is also a "compress old files" to save space

are these both the same things? (same drive)

can i undo this options? im a big fan of reformatting to undo problems in the event its challenging to undo compress a file.

thanks

2. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

I wouldn't suggest selecting the option to compress the entire drive. That sometimes can cause some trouble. However if you like you can try it. And should you change your mind just untick it, and it will uncompress just as easily...BUT, if you try it, be prepared that your system may not reboot. Some files shouldn't be compressed.

Yes, the "compress old files" is a much better option to use. However, every-so-often, I've seen people run into trouble using this option, too. But everybody's system is different.

3. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

Oh, should you use the "compress old files" option, and wish to undo this, you can choose the option to compress the entire drive, and then immediately uncompress the entire drive. This will return all files to their uncompressed state. That's the only way I know of uncompressing old files.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

At at command prompt:

compact /c [directory or filename] compresses a file or directory.

compact /u [directory or filename] uncompresses.

compact /c /s:dir [directory] compresses all files in the directory and all subdirectories of directory "dir", or of the current directory if "dir" is not specified.

5. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

About "compress old files". i did it and system is doing fine and faster

About "compress the entire drive". Anything that might make my computer not boot,i stay away from.

thanks everyone

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/230186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice