1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compress the movies?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by surfnets, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

I'm beginner,
    I just bought Canon powershot A 70 camera. I took some movies from my camera. Afterwards, I watched them on the windows media but I tried to send the movies to my friends by using dial-up but it is too slow. How do I compress the movies before sending them?
    Thanks,

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

First off, movies and dial-up will always present a problem. You don't really want to email them anyway because most email accounts have a fixed size and it is very easy for the email to get bombed due to your friend's account size restrictions. A better way to do this is to use your own ISP and webpage to upload the file and then just send the link to friends and family.

You haven't really given enough information about what kind of movie you have. For instance, what format is your movie in? AVI? MPG?

Assuming you have Windows XP, you can use Movie Maker (make sure you have version 2 - upgrade available at MS site), import your movie then render it as a .wmv.

There are several quality settings to choose from, so you will need to play around to find the best combination of file size/quality.

Hope this helps,

MBN

PS: a quick and dirty webpage could look like this:

<html>
    <head>

<title>Movies!</title>

</head>
    <BODY >

<a title="Click to view or Right-click to save" href="http://YourISPAddress/YourMovieName.wmv">
    Click here to download movie</a></p>

</BODY>
    </HTML>

3. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

The movie formit is mvi
    I downloaded the movie to my site but it took 40 minutes. How do I link the movie from my computer and can they download the movie from my computer since all my friend has dsl expept me?

Thanks, Bob

4. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

The movie formit is mvi
    I downloaded the movie to my site but it took 40 minutes. How do I link the movie from my computer and can they download the movie from my computer since all my friend has dsl expept me?

Thanks, Bob

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MustBNuts
    First off, movies and dial-up will always present a problem. You don't really want to email them anyway because most email accounts have a fixed size and it is very easy for the email to get bombed due to your friend's account size restrictions. A better way to do this is to use your own ISP and webpage to upload the file and then just send the link to friends and family.

You haven't really given enough information about what kind of movie you have. For instance, what format is your movie in? AVI? MPG?

Assuming you have Windows XP, you can use Movie Maker (make sure you have version 2 - upgrade available at MS site), import your movie then render it as a .wmv.

There are several quality settings to choose from, so you will need to play around to find the best combination of file size/quality.

Hope this helps,

MBN

PS: a quick and dirty webpage could look like this:

<html>
    <head>

<title>Movies!</title>

</head>
    <BODY >

<a title="Click to view or Right-click to save" href="http://YourISPAddress/YourMovieName.wmv">

</BODY>
    </HTML>

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

surfnets/bob, the answer to your question is right in my original answer. If you have uploaded your movie to your webpage (provided by your ISP), then all you have to do is create a small web page (nothing fancy here) and upload it as well.

Start by opening up notepad, and paste this code into it:

<html>
    <head>

<title>Movies!</title>

</head>
    <BODY >

<a title="Click to view or Right-click to save" href="http://YourMovieName.wmv">

</BODY>
    </HTML>

Now, the lines above in bold you will need to change to match what you have/want...for instance, put the name of your movie in there, then you can change the second bolded line with whatever prompt you want to offer your friends.

Where it says "Click here to download movie" you could put (remove quotation marks) "Right click and Save As, or left click and watch the movie straight from the internet"

Hope this helps,

MBN

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice