1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compress WAVs for CD burning?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Chimichanga, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chimichanga

Chimichanga Thread Starter

Is it possible to compress regular WAV files for burning to an audio CD and STILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THE CD ON A REGULAR CD PLAYER? (Sorry for the caps but I want to avoid a bunch of replies telling me about the joys of MP3 players).

I have some language training CDs that I'd like to burn to CD but ideally I want to get four CDs onto one. Of course I know I can compress this audio, but I don't know whether it's possible to burn these files to a CD and still be able to play it. I have a feeling that ordinary CD players intrinsically require uncompressed audio to play a disc.

If I had an MP3 player I could of course compress all these files to MP3s. But I don't.

Thanks!

2. Moby

Moby

No, not really. Creating an audio CD involves making whatever file you start with into a type of .wav file.
    How long are each of these 4 CD's you'd like to get on one?
    As a rule of thumb, when creating an Audio CD, you're stuck with the 70/80 mins, depending on which type of CD you use. Compression of a type can only be got from shortening/removing bits/removing silences etc from the original track.

3. Chimichanga

Chimichanga Thread Starter

Yes, that's what I thought. They are full-length CDs. I just don't want to have four CDs for this and would like to have gotten them all down to much smaller sizes (I don't care about the audio quality so long as I can still hear what's being said), which of course I could do if I save them as data files, but I want to play them on a CD player. Thanks for the help.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are stuck with the full length audio tracks if you want to play them on audio-only players.

5. smash

smash Banned

you could play them on a dvd player as mp3's if you don't have one they're cheap our local shop sells them for $39

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice