1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compressed files in windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nirvana1, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nirvana1

nirvana1 Thread Starter

i have a dual boot win me/2k system...it was fat 32 but i converted it to ntfs so i could set some file permissions to keep people from messing with my files...i know that win me cant boot from an ntfs partition but i guess i just wasnt thinking...anyway i need to know if there is a way to search for files with the "compress file to save space" box checked under the properties of the file after you click on advanced...i cant convert it back to fat 32 to access win me because partition magic says that there are compressed pr sparce files in the volume

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I am not aware of a way to search just for compressed files, but you can set windows to display compressed file names in a different color.

Open Explorer
    Go to tools, folder options.
    Click on view
    Check the box that says to display compressed files with alternate color.

Mine displays compressed file names in blue and regular ones in black.

3. nirvana1

nirvana1 Thread Starter

yeah ive had it set that way for a long time...i dont know how any files got compressed...i tired searching for *.* so it would show all the files on my computer the other day but it doesnt show them as different colors...theyre all black...i checked to make sure that they are displayed in blue and it says that they are...i dont want to have to search through every folder on this thing just so i can use windows me...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice