1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cOMPRESSED WAV FILES ERROR

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

I don't have my default sounds in win 98 anymore. An error message comes up saying: No wave device that can play files inthe current format is installed. This error usually occurs when the wave file is compressed using MPEG Layer 3. You must install a CODEC that supports this such as the one provided by Microsoft Netshow.
    I went to MS, and downloaded a CODEC--but it probably wasn't the right one. Can I get some direction? I still have sound. Musicmatch plays and my incredimail says Welcome, but exits and entrances and all the cute sounds are gone. Thank you.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

The link must have an error in it because that's what the page said--or the site is not available--could there be an error?
    I did exactly what u said, except for the web site; but the error message came up again. Fortunately, I still have some sound--
    anyway, thank you for the info, and hope I can get a little more?

4. xico

xico Thread Starter

Well, I went thru the processes, and I did get a few new sounds in my incredimail; but my sounds in windows are still mute. I check out the sounds (originally) in Desktop Architect. But this morning I went to "Sounds" in Control Panel and I got a slight different message:
    Windows cannot play the C:\Progra\Themes\Solars~1\Sounds\Solars~3 Wav File may be damaged or may use an unrecognized format. To resolve the problem, replace the file or use Add/Remove Program in Control Panel to install Audio Compression.

Sounds simple enuf, but I couldn't find Audio Compression. The alternative, or an alternative is to download another copy of Solar Themes?;)

5. xico

xico Thread Starter

And then I wanted to say thank you, Jtoast for the info; I sent you an email--heh, heh--which was sent to me. Learn by trial and error. that was a thank you note. Thank you.

6. xico

xico Thread Starter

And the link didn't have an error. That was my fault.

7. xico

xico Thread Starter

Mark it solved, and thank you for your help. I had gotten some of my sound back, but I went to the Yahoo Message Board for Hackers, and asked if anyone could help me find Microsoft Netshow, and Ymisoconfused gave me the link to PCWorld to download it--and now all my sound is back, music to my ears! Thank you all for your help, thank you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice