1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compressing .jpg files?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by cwilmot, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

How does one compress .jpg files for sending to a floppy disk or via email using 98SE? XP does it automatically but I don't know how to do it in 98.

2. joe2cool

joe2cool

3. joe2cool

joe2cool

4. slipe

slipe

WinZip will not compress a JPG to my knowledge.

Probably your best bet is the freeware Irfanview. When you save as a JPG you can open the Options box and select your compression quality. The lower the quality the smaller the file.

You usually also want to reduce the size of digital photos for e-mail. Irfanview does that very well with Image>Resize/Resample. Make sure to keep “preserve aspect ratio” checked and you can’t really go wrong.

Another advantage of Irfanview is that most or the regulars on the board use it, so you can get help quickly.

www.irfanview.com

5. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Thanks, Joe2cool, for your prompt response. One more question: what are the actual steps involved? Say you have a picture in .bmp format that you want to send to a floppy disk. How do you handle it? Do you first drag it to the compression program and then store it in the compressed format before pulling it up for sending? TIA. cwilmot

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Jpg is already a compression format. You are not going to gain much, if any, by trying to compress it. Nearly anything you do will reduce the quality of it.

7. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I appreciate all the good advice which joe2cool, slipe and longhair have given me. However, I still don't know what to tell my friend with the oversized files as to how to email them. If he were to download and install one of the recommended compression programs then how does he introduce the oversized file to it and then email the resulting file? Would there have to be an intermediate, "save" step?

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

There are a few ways to deal with it.

Just how big is this file anyway?
    What are you calling Oversized?

9. Moby

Moby

Resize the pics with irfanview but save the smaller ones as copies rather than replace the originals. You'll still have your good quality pics as well then.

10. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

You might want to consider
    http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php

EasyThumbnails is made to create smaller (and change compression if jpeg) pictures for e-mail or whatever use.
    It is free and works great.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/206648