1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compressing Mp3's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by aviynw, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aviynw

aviynw Thread Starter

Am I right in saying that if I have an mp3 lets say at 32 kb/s and I converted it to 128 kbp/s that there won't be an increase in quality? There are many programs that allow for this but would it actualy make an mp3 sound better?

Just wondering, I appreciate any help.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Will not help.
    You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, there is no extra data to give better quality even if you do re-encode upwards, it was all "lost" in the original encoding at 32 kb/s

3. Moby

Moby

Ripping the tracks at 128 kb/s in the first place would give you better quality than 32kb/s, but not when your starting point is a 32kb/s mp3. What Kiwiguy said.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It will actually make it worse. Since you lose some quality every time you encode an MP3, even at 320kbit rates, you'd be slipping downhill by doing anything to the file. You're stuck with the quality you have.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice