Compressing mpeg-2 files for standard DVD player use

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jax246

I really do appreciate any helpful advice...

So my neighbor gave me a DVD-R of his son's football highlight clips. The disc contains 3.205 GB worth of video in .mp4 format. He asked me to help him make it so that he can play these clips on his DVD player. I knew that a standard DVD player cannot read an .mp4 format, so I needed to convert the video footage to a different format (I assumed mpeg-2, but I know I could be wrong).

The problem I ran into was the increase in file size of each video. After converting all the clips, I was now left with 20.89 GB worth of content. Since the blank DVD-R's I have only hold 4.7 GB, I would need to make 5 separate discs.

I was wondering if there is anyway to compress these videos so they can fit on one, or even two, discs that can be played on a standard DVD player, while still maintaining decent picture quality?

I have googled my brains out, but the results usually end with telling me to convert the files to a format unfit for DVD players or not taking into account the size limits of the discs.

Sidenote: I don't know if this matters, but I thought I should mention there are 1,817 separate clips that range from about 10 to 60 seconds.

Also, my OS is Windows Vista 32 bit (Yes, I know that's pretty outdated ;))

texasbullet

Ramon
If you have a video editing program, you can edit all of the clips into it and make the final project there.

jax246

The disc does not play in either his DVD player or my own, that's why I am trying to convert the files onto a new disc. I know how to edit all of the clips into one final project, I just have a problem with how large the final project is. :(

TonyB25

Banned
You would have to choose the option to play a video file, not play a disk. But if you both have 10+ year old DVD players, then you will need to convert them.

Oddba11

Jim
Just as an FYI, DVD video space is typically noted in time. Yes, a SL-DVD holds 4gb of data and a DL-DVD holds 8gb of data, but video is noted in time. For a SL-DVD thats about 2 hours to maintain the typical dvd quality image. You could squeeze in more, but you will lose quality. In this age, where everyone has big screen TV's, you will want the highest quality possible and discs are cheap.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online