compressing video

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

techguy41

how can i compress a video file. i have some huge video files. i need to compress them and make them smaller in size (mb)

let me know

Thanks

What format are in the files in now? That would help me pick a compression scheme for you?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Most video formats are already compressed, so any further compression will be achieved by reducing the quality of the video.

Actually if its a dV25 file, there is very minimal compression done in camera---Where you run into problems is when you re-compress when outputting edited files to many times.

I didn't want to start another post when this one has the same problem. I have video files (from VCR tapes I passed into my computer) that are MPEG-1 VCDs. What is the most efficient file type to compress these files? What is the one that will give me the smallest video size? I have tried WMV, and I'm not very happy with the results (there was a tremendous loss of quality). Is there another format that could shrink it down even more? A format that doesnt lose as much quality? (Those two formats dont have to be the same)

techguy41

jrnetwork said:
I didn't want to start another post when this one has the same problem. I have video files (from VCR tapes I passed into my computer) that are MPEG-1 VCDs. What is the most efficient file type to compress these files? What is the one that will give me the smallest video size? I have tried WMV, and I'm not very happy with the results (there was a tremendous loss of quality). Is there another format that could shrink it down even more? A format that doesnt lose as much quality? (Those two formats dont have to be the same)
thats exactly why i made this post, i put some vhs video from my vcr to comp and they are huge files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online