1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compter freezes with thumb drive and mass storage device

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1Novice, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1Novice

1Novice Thread Starter

My Stats:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+, x86 Family 15 Model 36 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 958 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series , 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 91236 MB, Free - 72006 MB; D: Total - 4141 MB, Free - 1402 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ, 65.08.00, V63AM050071H5F500X
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

This is a Gateway laptop.

Everytime I plug in my USB mass storage device, the computer freezes, and I have to turn off using the power button. This is also happening periodically with a thumb drive.

History:
    Last month I had to reformat the hard drive, due to .msp files in Windows Installer consuming almost all available memory.

I reinstalled Windows XP, Office 2007 home and student, and HP officejet 5510 all-in-one printer.

Also installed for the first time Internet Explorer 8, and Microsoft's Security Essentials.

Since that effort, I have had a few glitches that have been problems with Internet Explorer 8. (i.e. my scanner would not work properly, and the fix involved IE.)

Now, when I plug in our mass storage device, and occaisionally a thumb drive, windows freezes. These devices work on other computers, and always worked fine on this machine prior to the reformatting effort.

What else can I tell you...?

thanks so much

2. huggie54

huggie54

hi,firstly update to sp3,then go to device managers right-click on all USB host controllers and uninstall,reboot your machine letting windows reinstall the controllers.have you the same problem on all USB ports could be a power issue

3. 1Novice

1Novice Thread Starter

thx for the fast response.

have updated to SP3.

Problem happens in more than 1 USB port. The storage device has its own power supply. The mouse and keyboard do not, and are working fine in ports that the storage device does not.

Under device manager, want to make sure I follow your directions properly.
    Here is what is listed under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers":

Generic USB Hub
    standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller
    standard openHCD host controller (this one appears 2x)

USB Composite device (appears 2x)
    USB printing support
    USB root hub (appears 3x).

? Please confirm I should only uninstall the 3 that have the language "host controller" in them
    ? is the reinstall by windows automatic during the reboot, or is there something I need to do?

thx, again.

4. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,remove all usb devices except mouse/keyboard,uninstall all enhanced host and family host controllers,reboot the machine and windows will automatically install the drivers,plug your devices in one at a time checking if they have been detected,

5. 1Novice

1Novice Thread Starter

Ok, I'm very much a beginner on this stuff, so forgive me for clarifying again. Can you tell me which ones to unistall using the exact language from the list I gave you? thx.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice