CompUSA Wireless Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NTL

I bought the CompUSA wireless router during CompUSA's black friday sale for $2.95. It seems to be working fine, but it has the default password on. I figured this wouldn't be a problem and I could just reset it, but when I reset it the password is still on. Does anyone know what the default password for this router is, or what else I could try to reset it?

Heres a picture of it if you don't know the router I am talking about: http://image.compusa.com/prodimages/10/78c067c4-944f-4c3a-9b3e-e63d477bf185.gif

TerryNet

Terry
I don't quite understand your problem. The default password (which is probably null or 'password') should be specified in the User Guide. If it didn't come with a manual, check the web for one.

By the way, it's hard to get much useful info from a picture of a router. Much more useful is the brand and model number.

NTL

TerryNet said:
I don't quite understand your problem. The default password (which is probably null or 'password') should be specified in the User Guide. If it didn't come with a manual, check the web for one.

By the way, it's hard to get much useful info from a picture of a router. Much more useful is the brand and model number.
It's actually the default "network key" which I am looking for. The manufacturer of the router is FMI (which I couldnt even find on the box) the product can be found at http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=333628&pfp=BROWSE

When configuring my router I enabled the encryption, which I didn't have the key for. Can anyone else give me some suggestions? I realise it might be hard to figure this out considering this isn't a name brand product.

Look for a small hole in the back that says "Reset" . . using a ball point or paper clip push that in for a count of 15 or so and it should be reset to factory defaults . . then you can set it tup the way you want it

If I understand NTL right, NTL is trying to set it to something other than the default password.

Edit: maybe I read it wrong.

NTL

simpswr said:
Look for a small hole in the back that says "Reset" . . using a ball point or paper clip push that in for a count of 15 or so and it should be reset to factory defaults . . then you can set it tup the way you want it
I have tried this, but it was unsuccessful. I held the reset button and the lights went off, I even tried powering it off after resetting it but it still hasnt been reset to the factory defaults. Any other suggestions?

TerryNet

Terry
Check your manual, which according to that last link you gave us should be on a CD that was in the box.

The following is true for most routers; yours may differ but I doubt it.

To reset to factory conditions hold the reset for 10 seconds or more until the LEDs begin to flash. The LEDs will then flash for up to a minute; wait until they stop flashing.

By default the wireless is not encrypted. When you enable encryption (WPA-PSK or WPA-TKIP or WPA-personal is best, but WEP is far better than nothing) you supply the passphrase (WPA) or hex key (WEP). There is no such thing as a default key. Remember the key that you supply (some people tape it underneath the router) because you will need to supply it on each computer that you want to connect wirelessly.

Am I getting closer to what you need?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts