1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer acting at if CTRL key is pressed

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Niamb, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niamb

Niamb Thread Starter

When I boot up my computer all is fine. It will work fine for an hour or two. Then for no apparent reason it begins to act up. I use Chrome as my primary browser, but the same thing happens in Edge. When I click on a link that opens a new tab, the tab opens behind the primary webpage. Scrolling no longer moves me up and down a webpage, but shrinks or enlarges the text. If I try to type in a text box, no letters appear but the computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed. If I type V it pastes the last phrase I copied. If I type U it jumps to the source code for the page I'm on. If I try to open Word 10, I get a pop-up saying the CTRL key is pressed and do I want to open in Safe Mode.

What I have tried so far. Reboot (when in doubt!). If I reboot my computer it behaves normally for an hour or two and then reverts to thinking CTRL is pressed. Run the Troubleshooting hardware diagnostic (no impact). Sub in a different keyboard and a different mouse (no impact). Change scrolling feature in Chrome (seemed to work at first and then reverted, but maybe I rebooted. I forget.

This is very annoying. I'm on my laptop at the moment, because my desktop is acting up again and constantly rebooting so I can continue to work is not good. Any suggestions?

System info:
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name GAMEPC
    System Manufacturer
    System Model
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2661 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. SOX5810J.86A.5600.2013.0729.2250, 7/29/2013
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Embedded Controller Version 0.00
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Intel Corporation
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Workstation
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
    User Name XYZ
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 13.6 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 29.4 GB
    Page File Space 16.0 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you plug a keyboard into a laptop, the actual laptop keys continue to work. Unlike a desktop where you would remove the suspect keyboard and replace it with another. So it's entirely possible there is an issue with the keyboard/CTRL key of the laptop.

3. Niamb

Niamb Thread Starter

The problem is not with my laptop, it is with my desktop. Since I have the same problem with two different keyboards, it seems most likely the problem is not with the key or the keyboard. The 2nd keyboard that I swapped in had no problem on my husband's computer, but developed the same issue within an hour of use on my desktop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice