Computer-As-DVR. Need programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Omega_Shadow

I have been trying to get this to work right for many months now. The standard ATI programs that come with the TV Wonder Card record in a format that is hard to work with (playback will stall when you try to fast forward)

I want to record some TV shows I miss while I am at work. I need a program that a.) records shows automaticly and saves them to a easly viewable file format b.) can play back said file format and c.) will work with a ATI TV Wonder card. Free or Nearly free would be nice too, but may be too much to ask.

I'm using an ATI tv tuner and i think you can change formats, i'm using windows media format :D

Omega_Shadow

I have taken your advice and tried the free trial of BeyondTV but found it gave me an even worse picture and saved files then the bundled ATI software. Neon, you said that I can change the format that the ATI software uses to record shows. What do you think would be the most stable format for skipping all those annoying commercials? Currently when I try to skip on most Mpeg or AVI's the video will freeze and the audio will play from the spot you select OR audio and video just stop and the counter will just keep going like it is still playing.

What is your computer specs? all formats are prone to skip a little, mine does in some rare cases but I'm using the ATI Multimedia Center --> TV, and my recording settings are

Type: Windows Media
Video: 320 x 240, 30 fps (433 Kbps)
Audio 44.100 KHz, 16 Bit, Stereo

I have about 448MB ram, and a 2.0~GHz Processor.

It's not the best resolution, but it saves harddrive space and since most the time i just want to watch these shows and delete them (they come on too late) i don't care about having superb quality.

I play my files in RealPlayer (latest).

Is there an option for increasing the number of key frames? That usually helps with seeking problems...

No, this is encoded and recorded all in real time by the ati pvr function for TV. When doing a second encoding (say windows media encoder program) you can do that, but not from the tv tuner program i don think.

Omega_Shadow

I run a 850Mhz Durron with 512MB ram. I can play alot of Mpegs and AVI's without any problems, it is just the recorded files that are "stailing" on fast forward or seek.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online