Computer attempting to read from floppy drive when accessing C: root folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FlyingPenguins

Whenever I browse to the C:\ root folder using Windows Explorer, or browse there using any file dialog window, that window freezes for a few seconds. I then see (and hear) the floppy disk drive (A: ) attempting to read, and after that the window is functional again. It may or may not occur again if I navigate to C:\Documents and Settings or its subfolders, but will not occur on any other subfolder in C:, such as Program Files, but will happen again if I navigate back to C:.

How do I prevent this from occurring?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Try the following:

Right-click Start.

Click Properties.

Classic Start menu > Customize...

Click Clear.

If you're using the Start menu instead of Classic Start menu, select Customize... then click Clear List.

Hope it helps.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Make sure your antivirus software is not set to scan the floppy drive (A).

FlyingPenguins

Turns out my antivirus program (Avast) may indeed be to blame. I checked their forum, and it turns out that I'm not the only one having the same type of problem lately; however, there doesn't seem to be a solution for this yet other than disabling the floppy drive in the Device Manager. I have left a message on their forum about this in the meantime.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online