1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Auto Shuts Down when on for too long

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hydeme, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

A few months back, my computer would shut down when it was on for too long. I figured it was the power supply, so I replaced it. They gave me the wrong power supply, but I installed it anyway. It is the wrong size. It seems to be working fine, but it still turns off. I am guessing when something gets too hot inside the computer it turns itself off because I opened the case and put a fan blowing in the tower. I haven't had the problem since. I was wondering what could be wrong with my computer for this to happen and what I need to do about it.

Thanks!:)

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

In the bios of my motherboard, it has a cpu overheat protection. It will shutdown the computer if it gets to the limit I have specified.

3. Firah

Firah

hydeme,

If it's reaching the shut-down temp set in the BIOS, then the system is suffering serious over-heating. Clean the CPU fan, make sure the heatsink is seated firmly, and the inside of the machine is dust-free.

Also, you could apply new thermal compound.

4. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

Is there a way I can change the BIO'S? Oh, and what is a Heatsinc?

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If the freqwency of the heat gets too offset (out of sync), you need somthing good to sinc it up... :D They meant the large block of metal that's normally clamped to the processor.. ;)

6. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

Something Good, such as....?

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I was kidding, but a heatsink that cost more than 10 dollars can make a lot of difference. Also, add a case fan if you don't have one. And don't push the PC all the way against a wall, it needs a little room to breathe.

Here's a page with good heatsinks.
    http://www.hardcorecooling.us/
    The Thermalright SLK-700 with TMD fan 36CFM looks like a good buy. I prefer the TMD fans as they are pretty quiet, and cool the center better due to the design used.

Just noticed on that page.

September Special: Arctic Silver III + (2) FREE 80mm Case Fans!
    Price $6.99 Sound like a good pick for cooling...

8. orchid5683

orchid5683

They were kidding about "syncing it up". The heatsync or heatsink (depending on who you talk to) is usually a block of metal that is cut into slices, or has metal fins mounted to it, and often there will be a fan attached to blow air across the fins. The idea is like a car radiator, heat spreads out through the fins, blowing air cools the fins, causing the hot part do cool down more efficiently...if there is dust, or hair or whatever else blocking the airflow, or keeping the air from blowing on the sync properly, then things will get too hot...

Things that are prone to overheat are the following:
    Powersupply
    Processor
    ChipSet
    Ram
    Video Card
    Hard Drive

If your system stops having the problem when you aim a fan in it (smart move by the way), then you may just have poor airflow in your case...it would be advisable to invest $20-$40 in 2 or 3 good case fans that you will mount in the computer, set one of them to blow air out of the box, and one or two of them to suck in cool air. It is easier, and more natural for the heat to get out of the box than for the cool air to get in, so that should be your focus...

If you have been thinking of upgrading your Ram at all lately, it may be good to replace it as Ram tends to get fried by people touching it and then is subject to breakdown and failure with heat. A chip fried by Static Electricity in your hands will not necessarily die immediately, it may just die slowly, especially with heat.

9. Kazrath

Kazrath

I run one of the hottest chips ever made... Amd 1.33 Tbird

I honestly stopped leaving my case together because regardless of inside fans It would always over heat.

Anymore I just have a standard housefan about 1 foot away blowing directly into it.. havent had a heat problem since ;)

10. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

well, do they have fans for my computer at Walmart or something. I live in a super small town and have no credit cards to use on the internet. And when I get the fan, where and how do I install it to work in my computer?

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Newegg will take checks. And they usually have the most competitive prices on the internet. Do you know what processor you have in your computer right now. We then can recommend what Heatsink and Fan you should buy.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice