1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Auto turns on when plugging in the power cord

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slipknotic, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slipknotic

Slipknotic Thread Starter

Well my computer (gateway gt5662) has been working great the past 2 years but all went down 3 days ago i turned off my computer (Doing a normal shutdown) unplugged the cables and all the others and left to goto my dads house so me and my friend were bringing all the parts to my dads car when we got to his house i plugged it in straight away fans started blowing i was all like wtf... and the blue power button was not lighting up about 300 unplugs and replugs it lit up then crashed about 20 more clicks turned on i went into bios eveyrthing seemed normal i just said to put on fail safe i did that my comp finally turns on then about 3hrs later it dies again.... I've seen lots of people with this problem i just don't fell like buying a new comp when there could be an easy fix

Thanks Slipknotic

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It might be the power supply, a lot of the Gateway and eMachine computers have problematic power supplies. See if you can borrow a power supply, say from anther computer, and try it.

3. Slipknotic

Slipknotic Thread Starter

kk yeah i had an old comp sitting in my closet took the power supply it was part of theproblem but not all of it im just gnna stay n steps what worked for me for more people with my problem

1.took out the power supply replaced with new1
    Effect: didnt turn on by it self oi could turn on with button but no light
    2.took out both ram and motherboard battery and started up
    Effect: beeping noises light turned on for the power
    3. put all back in started up fixed
    Effect: Good fight gateway

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How old is the "old"power supply? It may be too old and not have enough power. Did it have all the required power connectors? Can you list the model numbers of both power supplies?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/929342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice