computer automatically shuts off after shutting down windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

metallo

I am running windows 95 w/internet explorer a few days ago my monitor burned out after ishrank the screen so small i couldn't fix it i finally fixed by pressing f-8 and using another monitor anyway i must have moved somethijng else during my temporary screen blindness and now when I exit aol and shut down my computer the the monitor goes black as it should but the computer shuts off automatically and it nhever used to do that before it used to stay on until I shut it off . Now when I restart the computer from the open windows program it stays on and works fine and i forgot to mention it's a gateway 2000 133 mhz 64mb ram and 1.2gb hard drive and it also has a restart button.

metallo
Welcome to TSG!
Many motherboards have the ablility to shut off automatically after shutdown. Yours apparently is one of them. Either by installing another monitor or tightening a loose connection you fixed a problem you never knew you had.
Dave

Love the avatar man. You said the guy looked like you, so, uh, whats with the mutt?

Not my forte here Dave but I thought I would ask. In device manager>system devices>advanced power management, when you pull it up there is a box at the bottom for disable in this hardware profile. Could this have been checked before or may it be a bios thing for auto power off. Just asking. I read it before and cant find it.

Do you remember the thread about the doghouse?
Well one must be prepared!
Besides I think he's got a certain charm.
And.....Forgot Saturday was Sweetest Day I really thought it was Sunday! So throw the heater on in the Doghouse.

All things aside the reason I think metallos shutdown problem
is related to hardware or connection is the system will not complete its shutdown without getting a completed shutdown
return from hardware. There is a webcast I reviewed that was quite good that explained the shutdown processes and how to troubleshoot them.
The webcast is listed as WinMe but allot of the material applies
to others. Take a look if you have time.
For Webcast Click here
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online