1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer backup before upgrade to XP--backup software suggestions,.bkf files,etc?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tomjonesrock, Jun 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomjonesrock

tomjonesrock Thread Starter

I'm preparing to upgrade from Windows 2000 professional to XP. I would like a perfect backup of my C: drive in case the worst happens and XP kills my computer (so I can revert back to 2000 and my old system without a problem). I have 2 hard drives so I have the room to put an exact image of my C: drive onto the slave drive. Just wanting to get some feedback as to the best way to do this.

So far I just used the "backup now" option in Windows 2000 and saved a .bkf file of my entire drive to the slave. It actually didn't take up that much space--the .bkf must contain some sort of compression.

Anyway, is this the best way to go about protecting myself or would it be worthwhile to instead invest in a 3rd party backup program instead before undertaking this? There are tons of programs out there of course, Norton Ghost, Backup Now, GoBack, or what have you. If Windows' option works well I don't know why people would buy a 3rd party program but I hear about it a lot so I thought I'd ask. Anyone ever restored an entire system from a windows .bkf file before and had difficulty? Protecting myself is pretty important to me.

Any advice would be helpful.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

With the windows backup you have to reinstall windows and then restore the backup to get back to where you were. I use and love ghost because it makes a 100% exact copy of EVERYTHING and all you have to do to get it back is to restore the image and you're up a going again - no need to reinstall windows. Is also fast and can clone one drive to another or create an Image file.

GoBack I don't like and Backup Now needs windows to be installed to restore the backup

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/141591