1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer battery replacement?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wino1, May 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wino1

wino1 Thread Starter

My computer is 4 years old. Does the battery need replacing? What happens if I just let it go?
    Can I replace it myself or should I take it into a shop?

Thanks for the help

2. brianF

brianF

It's probably time to start thinking about it, can't say for sure how long they last, some longer than others.

If the battery fails you will lose you saved settings in the cmos. If your machine automatically detects settings it is not a big deal, but some use user defined and those settings are lost.

It's a good idea to go through your bios screens and write down the information just in case it happens.
    Usually when you boot up you will see a prompt saying to enter setup hit <key>, that will take you into your bios. Note the information, specifically anything that looks like it's not default values.

Most machine's have a button type battery in a small holder, just a matter of shutting the machine down, removing the old one carefully so as not to damage the holder, and inserting a new one, but the bios will have to be reset on reboot.

3. wino1

wino1 Thread Starter

Is the CMOS settings the same as the BIOS settings?
    Do you have any idea where on the board I might find the battery?

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi wino1
    Yes, CMOS settings are the same as the Bios settings. On most newer computers the battery looks something like a quarter, about the same size shiny, silver and round.

5. sabledog

sabledog Guest

does your pc clock keep losing time... that is a good sign battery is getting bad...
    sb

6. Chum

Chum

This is something we should all think(ahead)about! Question: any way you can print out your BIOS settings for future reference?

7. wino1

wino1 Thread Starter

Chum raises a very good question. Can the BIOS settings be printed out?

8. Jeckler

Jeckler

I thought I've seen reference to a program that can capture your BIOS setting to a file. Maybe a flash program. Probably specific to each BIOS manufacturer. Try Google.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

This may or may not work on all computers, but while you have your bios screen up in front of you, hit the print screen button....You may or may not have to do it for each section.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/44858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice