Computer beeps and stops

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bkm645

I installed XP and my modem would not work so I bought a new one. I moved the computer to a better lighted place and took the old one out and it was a sound card + a modem. I put the old one back in and bought a new modem put it in moved the computer where it usally is.

I turned it back on it beeped 4 times the hard drive grunted and it stoped it was froze. The mouse, keyboard, and the monitor were not receiveing power or data. I tried sys restore, making sure all the things are pluged in right,and put every thing back in the way it was it still would do the same thing.

If you know please email me at bkm645@hotmail.com

Thanks,
bkm645

what's your computer, OS and specs? What kind of modem did you get and what is the old one? The modem shouldn't be a problem so your old one should work. You should make sure your computer meets XP's requirements. The modem might not be seated properly. Try it in a different PCI slot or try seating it better.

I imagine the 4 beeps are an error code from the bios. You need to find out what bios is in the machine and look up on the web what the error code is...If it is an award bios it may mean that there is a system timer fault and the mother board may need repair...but check for your specific bios

Hope this helps

Steven

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online