1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer beeps continuously then freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Afterthought, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Afterthought

Afterthought Thread Starter

did have a quick look through forums nothing seems to be exactly like this.

It's more of a 'blip' than a 'beep'. shorter than the standard beep when the computer starts.

Randomly, it seems, when im already started up using windows and the computers behaved so far, it will either:
    make one single blip from the tower, and the little red light will start flashing and it will freeze for about 10 seconds until the light rrturns to normal. its doing it now.
    continuously blip in rhythm, the flashing light with the blips, and freeze for anywhere up to a few minutes, then returns to normal.
    blip in no particular pattern, go a little mental, light and all, freeze and i generally restart the computer once i get bored which is at about 5 minutes.twice when its done this, it hasnt read the hard drive on start up and therefore cant boot. after a lot of swearing and some luck, it starts up and does read it.

when i say 'freeze' it first freezes the screen - the mouse still rolls around but in an hourglass and it doesnt register any button clicks until after the freeze, as if its just running ridiculously slowly - then it will completely freeze, and the mouse wont even move.

anti-virus and anto-rootkit scan came up clean, though im assuming this is something to do with the hardware since the sound is coming from the tower itself. Ive defraged the hard drives, which needed doing anyway. Its a massive annoyance and i dont know if it means part of the hardware is dying, in which case i'd really like to know in advance given how much i rely on this computer.

Does anyone speak in bleep?
    any suggestions are appreciated.

2. pip22

pip22

One of the usual suspects is the hard drive -- possibly it's starting to fail.
    Back up all your data to another drive or to DVD just in case it is failing.
    Then test the drive with the drive-maker's diagnostic software.
    Links here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice