Computer beeps when turned on, does nothing else

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

timgarwood

Hey everyone -

This is my first post.

My computer no longer boots at all. Yesterday, I went out and bought a PNY GeForce 6600 video card to replace the GeForce 5200 FX that came with my computer. My computer is a Dell Dimension 8300 model which I purchased in June 2003. When I put the new card in, I received warning messages saying that the video card was not receiving sufficient power, and also my computer was no longer able to detect a sound card (?). It seems that I had forgotten to hook my new video card up to my power supply, so I did that and it eliminated the error message. With my new video card working, I went to work trying to fix my sound problem. When I tried to reinstall the sound drivers that came on the Dell CD, I got another error message telling me to reboot my machine. I rebooted, but now my computer just makes 5 or 6 long beeps and then just sits there. The disk drives don't make their usual spinning noise when I first turn on the main power before pressing the actual power button on the tower.

I'm wondering if this is a power supply issue, because the new video card said that it needed a 350W power supply, but I'm not sure exactly how many watts my power supply was. I also read that, if the computer is beeping, then the motherboard should be OK. I tried putting my old video card back in but the same beeping happens and my computer does nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your replies,

-Tim

Rukee

Banned
try to reseat all the cables, memory sticks and video card etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online