1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer blank at sign in page

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sal2468, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sal2468

sal2468 Thread Starter

When I first started up my computer today it let me get to the desktop, After which it blue screened and I forced a shut down. When I started it back up I got a post screen that said that the overclock failed so I went to the bios and set all the setting to default. I then restarted and now when it gets to the part to sign in it is just a blank screen with my mouse curse (which I can move around)

I am running 64bit windows 7 home premium

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It seems as if explorer.exe may have crashed, which is the application responsible for displaying your desktop. Hold down the Ctrl, Alt & Delete keys as if you're going to sign in, and then choose Task Manager from the list which appears. Go up to File and Run, enter explorer.exe, and then click OK. Leave it to see if this brings up the desktop.

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Try this:

1. Completely power down the PC and wait a several seconds.

2. Power it back up and start tapping the [F8] function a couple times a second or so.

(Note: On some PCs you might get a menu asking you to select which boot device. If you do, select your normal drive that has Windows 7 installed on it).

3. When the Windows menu comes up, use the [Up]/[Down] arrow keys to select "Safe mode" and then press [Enter].

4. Go ahead and sign in to Windows safe mode. (Note that the screen will probably be a bit weird).

5. Once into Windows, click the Start orb, type in:

rstrui.exe

and press [Enter] to bring up "System Restore".

6. Select a date back a day or two ago and follow along with the onscreen prompts and let it reboot.

7. Boot back into Safe mode (tapping [F8]) and System Restore should give you a message that it was successful.

If so, that's it. Shut down (using Start > Shut down) and then let it boot up as it normally does.

If not, open System Restore once again, select an earlier date and try again ... until you do get a Success!

Let us know what happens ...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice