Computer blue screen of death after deleting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Foolieboy

Was fixing a game program when it told me to delete a registery located in

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE

Unfortunately in my passiveness, I deleted the whole thing. I could not open anyhthing immediately after doing this and restarted my laptop. "Blue screen of death" greeted me and gave me a bunch of options. I tried everything I could but I'm unable to even reset my computer to factory settings. I'm using windows 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To fix this, you need a working knowledge of MS-DOS and a bootable, Windows 10 DVD.
You can create the DVD (or USB drive (8GB+)) by going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I prefer the DVD as it cannot be corrupted or infected later on.
Boot to the installation DVD, choose repair my computer, and then the Command Prompt.
The backup registry files are in \Windows\System32\Config\Regbak and you need to copy the Software file to \Windows\System32\Config
(I left out the drive letter because it is often the D drive when you boot to the installation media)
Once you have copied the file, reboot and you'll be right back where you were before you made the mistake.

Foolieboy

Thank you for the reply. I have a problem with finding the backup registry files. I typed in what you told me on the command prompt and it said "system cannot find the path specified"
Also instead of of the cp showing d: it showes X: I am using a 8gb usb stick that I made bootable on the 2nd attempt hoping it might fix the problem. I'm not too computer savvy so maybe I made an error...

I had said you need a working knowledge of MS-DOS.....
The installation drive will boot and be the X drive. In the Command prompt window, type DIR <space>C:<enter> then DIR D:<enter>. One of them will display the WINDOWS folder in its DIRectory list. Type D:<enter> or C: if that is the drive with WINDOWS listed which is unlikely.
Then type CD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\REGBAK<enter> and do DIR which ought to list the file named SOFTWARE.
If it does, type COPY <space>\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\REGBAK\SOFTWARE<space> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG<enter> and you ought to get 1 File Copied or a prompt to overwrite the existing file to which you say Y<es>.
Type EXIT<enter> in the command prompt and reboot.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It seemed to me the OP didn't know how to proceed so I posted the link to help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online