1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer bluescreens after sleeping overnight

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by alexh1, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

My computer bluescreens when I wake it via the mouse after sleeping overnight. It never does this during the day.

I know what's causing this...it's too many simultaneous or near simultaneous scheduled operations (especially on weekends which is the default for many of them). I need to change the default scheduling to avoid conflicts but it seems to me this is one glaring oversight by MS. Even a lowly sprinkler system controller knows that sprinklers set to come on at the same time have to be "stacked" to avoid problems!!! Come on MS!

Also, Vista has a fairly sophisticated task scheduler that can even send e-mails at specific dates/times automatically yet we can't properly schedule the updates and other routine tasks to avoid conflicts?

One of the reasons I went to Vista so soon is because with older windows, when I turned on my computer to start work I often spent up to an hour and several re-starts performing all the updates and maintenance. Vista, together with a sleep mode that actually works to save power, promised more work time and less time fixing things..or so I thought.

OK, I'll stop ranting.

Anyhow, here are the programs that can be scheduled and my comments. I have the trial Live Onecare.

Defrag - good idea.

Update - a good idea but every time I have done this manually it's asked to re-start the computer. That might be OK but it could also create problems. I have noticed if you turn off auto update Live OneCare complains loudly.

Defender - It appears that if you have Live Onecare this shut off - I saw some messages on this but I'm not sure. This illustrates another problem with Live OneCare - too much overlap with native Vista functions really muddies things IMO.

Tune Up - another function of LiveOneCare. Again there is massive overlap with the built in functions and you can't turn this off.

Virus Scan - obviously a good idea.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone achieved the goal of near 100% automatic maintenance of their computer or is it just another MS pipe dream?

PS. I made some detailed comments on Live Onecare in the security forum.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!