1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharner, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharner

sharner Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 660, Model I3847-4617BK.

I have an AMD R9 270x graphics card.

My current power supply is a 550W Ultra Power Supply. Recently, the power supply began making a grinding noise so I submitted a warranty claim and Ultra sent me a new 550W power supply. The new PSU is a newer model. The only difference I can see is that my old unit was a double 12V rail and new unit is a single 12V rail.

I installed the new PSU, hit the power button, and the computer did not boot. The power button LED remained amber in color and the processor fan ran at full throttle until I turned off the PSU. I disconnected it and installed my old PSU and the computer started up with no problems.

I thought the replacement PSU was bad. ULTRA agreed and graciously sent a another 550W PSU (brand new). I installed it and the same thing happened. No computer boot, the LED power button remains amber, and the processor fan runs at full throttle. I disconnected the new PSU and installed my old PSU and the computer boots up with no problems.

Anyone have any ideas of what my problem may be? Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Is there a block of 4 spare pins on the end of the plug into the motherboard? If so they should detach and plug into a separate power socket on the board.

3. sharner

sharner Thread Starter

No. It is a 24-pin connection. No excess pins. But the MB does require a separate 4-pin connector, which I have plugged in.

My connections are -

1 24-pin connection (motherboard)
    1 4-pin connection (motherboard)
    1 sata connection to the DVD drive
    1 sata connection to the Hard Drive
    2 6-pin connectors to the graphics card

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, ultra pw supplies are pretty low end and should NOT be used for any type of gaming. If this is the pw supply you have, it is really low end;
    http://www.ultraproducts.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7850412&Sku=U12-42505
    If you check the specs, it only has 30amp on the 12V rail. Any decent 550W unit should have 40+ amps on the 12V rail.

Next if it was working prior to you removing the pw supply and not now, it can really only be two things;
    1 Pw supply you installed is DOA
    2 You damaged something while working in the case OR knocked something loose.

Here is an example of a quality 550W pw supply;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

If you check the specs, you will see that it has 45amp on the 12V rail. That is 50% more than your 550W unit.

5. sharner

sharner Thread Starter

Thank you for the response.

That is the 550W PSU sent to replace my current 550W PSU. Oddly, the specs online are different than the sticker on the unit. The sticker on the unit does have 40+ amps on the 12V rail. I think it was 41 amps at 492 watts. I can't remember exactly but it was significantly higher (not at home).

The old 550W unit that is currently in the computer and working has two 12V rails. One at 23A and the other at 20A. The warranty replacement which will not boot the computer is a single 12V rail at 40+ amps.

Once I remove the warranty replacement unit (the new unit sent to replace the old) and reconnect with the current/old 550W PSU (2 12v rails as described above), the computer powers up with no problems.

6. sharner

sharner Thread Starter

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That pretty much sums it up. The replacement is defective.

If you intend to game with this system, I would really invest in a quality pw supply.

8. sharner

sharner Thread Starter

This is what I thought after the first occurrence. But a second warranty unit was sent and the same problem occurred. It just seems suspect that I would get two warranty units and the exact same thing happens to both. I guess it is possible but it really has me scratching my head that it is something else but I have no idea what it would be.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, get a quality pw supply and be done with the problem.

10. Imran520

Imran520

It is showing the problem of hard disk of your computer. Change it and then try to reboot .

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice