1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer boots up on its own & random shutdowns. A failing power supply?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rhaenne, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhaenne

Rhaenne Thread Starter

Hello, my computer have been running into problems these past few weeks:
    1) Automatic Boot Up:
    My computer have been booting up (turning on) by itself after a manual shutdown.
    * It doesn't automatically turn itself back on after a manual shutdown, it happens a couple hours later.
    When an automatic boot up does occur, the computer either goes through a restart sequence (it turns on then [SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3] off after a few s[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]econds[/SIZE] or minutes and repeats[SIZE=3])[SIZE=3], or it turns on by itself and stays on.
    [SIZE=3] [SIZE=3]*This event happens mostly in early mornings around 2[SIZE=3] - 4[SIZE=3]AM
    [SIZE=3]
    2) [SIZE=3]Unexpected Shutdowns:
    [SIZE=3] [SIZE=3]In addition to the auto boot [SIZE=3]up problem[SIZE=3], my computer is also experiencing random shutdowns. At times it
    [SIZE=3] shuts down after [SIZE=3]around 30 minutes after [SIZE=3]I turned the computer on[/SIZE], [SIZE=3]and other times after a coupl[SIZE=3]e of hours. There are also times when it[SIZE=3][SIZE=3] doesn't shut down at all when I'm using the computer[SIZE=3].
    [SIZE=3] [SIZE=3]* When the[SIZE=3]re[SIZE=3] is an unexpected shutdown, [SIZE=3]most of the time the computer do a[SIZE=3] complete shutd[SIZE=3]own (it logs off
    [SIZE=3] windows first). [SIZE=3]Sometimes it would just shut off as if[SIZE=3] someone pulled the power plug off when [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]the[/SIZE] computer is [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]running[/SIZE].

[SIZE=3]I [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]checked[/SIZE] task scheduler to see if its respo[SIZE=3]nsible for the automatic boot ups. No task were given access to wake computer to run the task[SIZE=3]. I even scheduled the tasks to run during times I'm using the computer[SIZE=3], but it didn't fix the problem. I [SIZE=3]also tried chan[SIZE=3]ging windows update to install update instead[SIZE=3] of 3AM to 11AM[SIZE=3], but still no luck. I se[SIZE=3]arched online to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problems as I am[SIZE=3], and it seems mostly people are suggesting that the problem [SIZE=3]lies within[/SIZE] the power supply. *Before all these events occur, I actually experienced a BSOD while my computer was [SIZE=3]put to sleep, could it be related somehow? A[SIZE=3]ny ideas on what might be causing these problems? I'm a novice on computers, so I do [SIZE=3]apologize[/SIZE] if I[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]'[/SIZE]m not using proper terms or for not understanding the terms you guys u[SIZE=3]se.

[SIZE=3]My computer is a Gateway DX4840 with Windows 7 [SIZE=3]64[SIZE=3]bit Home Premium[SIZE=3]. Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20[SIZE=3]GHz[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Your PC doesn't seem that old for the PSU to be going but it can be.

Turning off after awhile can be something overheating like say CPU or GPU or power supply. Turning on by itself is a little harder to trace.

3. dai

dai

for the restart check your bios settings make sure wake on lan wake on ring ect. are disabled

power supply

make
    model
    wattage

gateway are famous for their crap psu's

video card or onboard

4. Rhaenne

Rhaenne Thread Starter

I'm not exactly sure at what temperature is considered overheating for my computer. Are there any programs you know and could recommend me for monitoring the temperature for CPU, GPU, and power supply?

5. Rhaenne

Rhaenne Thread Starter

I checked my BIOS settings, it doesn't include include wake on lan or ring, but this is what it have:

ACPI Suspend Mode [S3(STR)]
    Deep Power Off Mode [enabled]
    Power on by RTC Alarm [disabled]
    Power on by PCIE Devices [disabled]
    Power on by PCI Devices [disabled]
    Wake Up by PS/2 KB/Mouse [enabled]
    Wake Up by USB KB/Mouse [enabled]
    Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]

Are there any methods where I can check if a power supply is turning bad?

6. dai

dai

7. gurutech

gurutech

Like Dai says, disable the two options for "Wake on XXXX KB/mouse". I'm guessing you have a cat or something that likes jumping on the keyboard in the middle of the night!

8. Rhaenne

Rhaenne Thread Starter

From what I know the video card in my computer is integrated. I looked at the power supply label, this is what it says:
    FSP Group Inc.
    Model No: FSP300-60THA(1)
    AC Input: 100-127/220-240V~, 7/3.5A, 60/50Hz
    DC Output: 300W

9. dai

dai

the psu is the usual low quality unit

see if a friend has one 450w or better they can loan you to check with

10. Rhaenne

Rhaenne Thread Starter

Do I need a certain type of power supply that is compatible with my computer? If so, do you know what information I need in order to find the right power supply to use?

11. dai

dai

atx power supply are you talking about borrowing or buying

12. Rhaenne

Rhaenne Thread Starter

I won't be able to borrow any power supplies from my friends for the time being, so yeah in terms of buying, what information do I need to get the right power supply?

13. dai

dai

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice