1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Browser Service will not start.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rikku, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I can't get the Computer Browser Service to start on Windows 2000 machine.

"Error 1075: The dependancy service does not exist or has been marked for deletion."

Does the Computer Browser Service have a dependancy that isn't started maybe? I have no idea what it might be.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

I believe that the only dependency for the browser service is the workstation service, although the server service may also be needed. Any other problems or indications of trouble? Can you connect to other PCs/servers using the IP address or name?

3. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Ok, Workstation service is started, there is no Server service.

(This is Windows 2000 Pro)

All ip connectivity is good. I am trying to install Arcserve Manager and it requires the Computer Browser service.

4. rawmeat

rawmeat

Rikku, If you go into Computer management and open the services, right-click on the Computer browser service and select properties, there is a dependencies tab. Try that to see if it provides you any help. Mine states that it does need both workstation and server service (I have w2k pro also). If you don't have the server service listed, that is your problem.

5. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Thanks Raw,

I had never really noticed that Dependencies tab - neat! Ok, well I only have Computer Browser listed as a Dependency. And no, I don't have Server listed as a service.

So, how do I get the Server service installed? Wonder where it went to begin with?

I did check a couple other of my w2k workstations and they have the Server service.

6. rawmeat

rawmeat

7. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I reinstalled windows and now everythings working fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/120994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice