1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Settje1234, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Settje1234

Settje1234 Thread Starter

Hope I'm posting this is right place. I'm building my first nice Gaming computer and want to make sure I do it right.
    I'm looking at
    windows 10 64bit,
    z370mobo,
    i7 8700k CPU water cooled.
    960 evo ssd,
    Gtx 1080ti,
    850watt psu,
    Ram to be determined
    Screen to be determined.
    Case to be determined.

1st question
    I'm looking for a nice case that supports water cooling and also dust resistant as I live in a dusty area. Any ideas? I don't mind a bigger case would like to have the room to work in it and have space to add more gear in the future.
    2nd
    Witch z370 would you recommend for overclocking and nvme support.
    3rd
    Witch gtx1080ti would you recommend for overclocking
    4th
    Is 850watts enough for sli? Or will next generation cards be less power hungry and more powerful.
    5th
    What would you recommend for the fastest ram? would like at least 16gb.
    6th
    What would you recommend for screen? Would really like a 4k 144hz if they make them yet. Would that set up power 4k 144hz?

Any help is much appreciated have 2500 for computer parts and 1000 budgeted for screen. Would like to setup best possible Gaming PC with that budget. Thanks

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
  3. Settje1234

Thanks for reply. Happen to know a good dust resistant case? Also a good water cooler for CPU.

4. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Nvidia does not mfg cards; they mfg the chipset used by the card mfg. The thread starter has already posted he is using a nvidia card ie gtx 1080.

As for motherboards, either asus, gigabyte or asrock. The high end boards from all three should be fine. When choosing a motherboard, I look at the support page to see how many bios updates have been released. Bios updates to support new cpus or other hardware are fine. Numerous bios updates that attempt to fix problems are NOT fine. That points at a basic design problem with the board. Personally I like the asus ROG boards; very stable AND achieve good overclocks. The ROG boards also come with high end sound. If you are getting a real sound card, then you do not need the quality sound however if not, the ROG sound is very good.

Pw supply. 850W is fine however do make sure it is a quality pw supply ie high end corsair or seasonic. Cheap pw supplies cause all types of problems. I personally like the new seasonic with the silent fan. The fan does not run until needed. My ryzen system is basically silent with the exception of a very slight noise from the water pump.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

If you use water cooling on the CPU, make sure you have enough air flow in the case for the other components. Most CPU heat sink coolers help cool some of the board components also.

7. Settje1234

Thanks again for reply's. So will these filter kits fit most cases? Or could you send me link for one that's dust resistant. Also want monitor should I be looking at. Am very interested in 4k 144hz if there out. Struggling to find them through

8. Settje1234

Do you think heat sink would be enough for i7 8700k over clocked? If so I would skip the water cooled.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A good quality heatsink would be fine for a mild overclock. If you are going to hard core overclock, then go water cooling. The coolermaster 212 heatsink fan works very well on my intel 7600K overclocked to 4.5gig. If you really want water cooling, the coolermaster 240 AIO does a fine job on my ryzen 1700x overclocked to 4.0. Keeps temp to 50C or so when running prime95.

10. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
  11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is very expensive and a great performer however the gtx 1080ti is not made by nvidia. Nvidia makes the chipset used by the card mfg ie EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, etc, etc.

12. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Ok. Didn't realize that.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice