Computer can connect to some web sites, but not others

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Moorloch

I've been working with computers for 30 years, and this is the strangest problem I've encountered. A couple of weeks ago, my desktop PC (Windows 10, Intel i7, 16GB RAM) could not connect to any internet site. After mussing with settings I am now at the point where it will connect to some sites but not others.

I can connect to Wikipedia, Facebook, Google, Torrenting.com, YouTube, and tinyurl,com, among others. I cannot connect to Amazon, Twitter, eBay, Quora, Godaddy, and the New York Times. I've tried with different browsers, with no improvement. I've tried checking for viruses and disabling my virus checker and firewall (both Norton). I've rebooted my router (AT&T standard equipment). I've called for help from Norton, where the tech was disdainfully uninterested. I'm still working with my ISP, AT&T, and at the AT&T tech's request I've ordered a USB wifi dongle for further testing. My desktop is connected via ethernet; all other devices in my house are on wifi. I can't connect with AT&which is still an ongoing operation.

As a last resort, I will reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows, WordPerfect, Photoshop, and scadsful of other programs. I done it before and it usually take two or three days, and I always fear I've lost something.

Please, help if you can.

Uninstall Norton. Windows 10 has semi annual upgrades and most antivirus cannot cope with the upgrade schedule and has compatibility problems.

managed

Allan
Can you try one of the other devices on that ethernet cable as a test ?

cwwozniak

Chuck
all other devices in my house are on wifi.
Do any of the other devices have problems connecting to the problem sites?

What happens when you run a TRACERT command on your computer for some of the problem sites?

Exactly what, if any, error messages do the browsers report for the problem sites?

Moorloch

Do any of the other devices have problems connecting to the problem sites?
No. Two laptops and 2 phones work just fine.
What happens when you run a TRACERT command on your computer for some of the problem sites?
Not familiar with TRACERT, but I"ll check it out.
Exactly what, if any, error messages do the browsers report for the problem sites?
Generic "Your Internet access is blocked." And nothing else helpful.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
"disabling my virus checker and firewall (both Norton)" and uninstalling is NOT the same.
Some of the settings within Norton's stick, when disabling it.

The Norton Uninstall tool does a more thorough job and removes any left overs, unlike going thru Programs and Features.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online