1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer cannot get past boot, recovery CDs not working either

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by korpse, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korpse

korpse Thread Starter

Hello TSG,
    So I've been trying to solve this since it randomly happened yesterday, but to no avail.
    I have a Samsung Q430 Intel i5 with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (SP1), and the computer randomly started to lag, so I restarted it. It logged in successfully the first few times, but became extremely laggy after login, until it froze up completely each time. I then tried the recovery CD, and it worked the first time, but nothing changed, and it was still laggy. However, the computer could not even get past the black loading screen anymore, and began on a continuous reboot cycle, each time ending with a flash of a BSOD that I couldn't catch. It restarts to two options: Launch startup repair or Start windows normally, both of which end up freezing and restarting.
    I have tried:
    -Safe Mode (worked first time, but was laggy, and now it just freezes during loading)
    -Last Known good configuration (nothing happened)
    -Recovery CD (becomes stuck while trying to find the OS, says "Drive E: 0 bytes, windows 7 and never finishes loading)
    -Installation CD (stuck at entering setup screen)

The only thing that really works is the Ubuntu Live CD...
    So, any suggestions?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi and welcome,
    While waiting for someone to read this who knows 'bout W7, why not use that Ubuntu live CD to backup all your important docs, pics, tunes etc etc to an external hard drive (if you haven't already?!) just in case ...

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Richard.

3. Rockn

Rockn

You should have tried to determine what was causing the lag before going whole hog trying to restore the OS. Run some diagnostics on the hard drive as well as the memory. Never heard of a Samsung laptop and I am not sure I would purchase one either. I don't think I would purchase a Sony laptop either.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice