1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer cannot see 8gb SDHC card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bingobongo123, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bingobongo123

bingobongo123 Thread Starter

Help,

I bought a Canon 450D with an 8gb SDHC, didnt format the card, took a load of photos, then realised my computer would not recogise the card at all, i mean nothing, when in the SD drive and using an external card drive, so i tried connecting the camera to the computer and still nothing. Now the camera wont even recognise the photos and just says the card needs to be formatted, so i gave up on saving the photos but the camera will not even format the card now! So its useless to me right now.

I then bought a second 8gb card, formatted it this time, took a load of photos, still computer will not even recognise card, at all. But i do have a 512mb old card that works perfectly, no problems, instantly recognised.

Any thoughts? Are these two 8gb cards of any use? I did download and try 'Recuva' to find the photos but it was unable to find the card.

Any ideas appreciated.

2. slipe

slipe

Older readers can’t read the new HD cards. But you should be able to access the photos through the camera connection. You didn’t say whether you tried the camera with the second card.

It sounds like the first card might have been defective. I don’t think you would get that kind of indication if the card had the write protection switch on, but check it anyway.

3. wilson44512

wilson44512

are you sure the camera can handle a 8gb SDHC card. maybe try a 1 or a 2 GB card

4. slipe

slipe

The camera is fine with SDHC cards. The problem is probably with the reader in the computer. You should be able to download the photos through the camera with its USB connection.

If you don’t like downloading through the camera there are mini readers that just work with a specific kind of card and plug directly into the USB port. My last Sandisk SDHC card came with one free, but they can be purchased for $3.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice