1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer can't get past Winfast screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ashfire45, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashfire45

Ashfire45 Thread Starter

I'm terrible with computers, and I think I've made the problem worse by messing around with the Set Up...Keep in mind I'm a simple country bumpkin.

It began when last night when I was on my computer; an antivirus software that I haven't seen before popped up and started scanning, and it found a gigantic number of viruses and trojans and keyloggers, etc. The computer takes it upon itself to shut down suddenly. I start it back up, and the boot up starts looping.

For whatever silly reason, I thought going into Set Up (By pressing Del when it gets to the Winfast screen) and messing around with the options would help. I put everything to optimized settings...but then, when that didn't work, I put it to default settings. It started giving me an error about floppy disk failing (40), but I fixed that.

However, now it loads Winfast, goes into a black screen, and then on to a lighter shaded one; then it freezes. It won't respond to my ERD Commander either; infact, it won't respond to anything.

I would LOVE to fix this problem without having to delete my files; I have animations on my computer, my novel, homework on my computer...What do I do!? :(

2. Ashfire45

Ashfire45 Thread Starter

Uhoh. I tried something called Super Boot and now it won't even get to the Winfast screen. V.v

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

This is assuming you`ve got the original XP installation disk and if you don`t have that, you might have a problem fixing it and you can ignore the rest of this post.

Put the CD in the drive and boot from it using either a BIOS setting in setup or pressing one of the F keys although which one will be dependant on what motherboard it is but it should show when you first start the computer. (Probably F8, F9 or F10).

When it`s loaded the default drivers, go into the Recovery Console, choose your Windows installation, usually 1 C:WINDOWS and just hit Enter when it asks for the administrator password. At the flashing cursor type in chkdsk /r (note the space between k & /r) and leave it to run until it tells you it`s finished. Type exit and now reboot the machine.

Jenny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!