1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer case cooling fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marianne, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Hi,

We bought a refurbished computer for our son but when it arrived the computer case cooling fan was loose - had not been properly attached. My question is which way should the fan face when it's attached? There's a vent at the front of the case and mounting holes which it matches, but do I put it so the blades are convex or concave when mounting facing the front of computer? I was going to mount it with the convex side facing the front and my husband said it should be the opposite. He's no computer expert so I don't really trust his judgement after all the blunders he's commited with our computers. Hee hee.

Thanks,
    Marianne:confused:

2. brianF

brianF

generally there is an arrow showing direction the fan blows, I would install it so that it blows air into the computer

3. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Hi Brian,

That sounds good but there's no arrow. I don't know which position would blow air into the computer. On examining my people cooling fan, the blades blowing into the room are convex so I guess that's the way to place it, blowing into the computer.

Marianne

4. rugrat

rugrat

Just in general, Fans in the front of the case blow in, the back of the case out. Turn the machine on with the case open and feel for the air flow. This is just a general rule based on different cases I have owned.

Have Fun

5. slawless

slawless

a real simple way to test the fan. is to plug it in to the appropriate wires or MoBo socket, hold the fan by the outside of the fan case and turn the computer on. The fan will turn on. then mark the air flow direction on the fan case with a marker. Also the fan only uses 12 volt so you wont get a shock. you can tell by which way the blades are curved, but sometimes it can be difficult to communicate. Or if you dont like holding the fan, mount it and turn it on and see which way it blows. If it blows the wrong way remount it.

Generally fans in front of the case blow in. those on the back blow out.

Steve L

6. slawless

slawless

look slike rugrat and i answered at the same time.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod

Look for the fan label on the frame, air blows in that direction, toward the non-moving label. Air intake is the rotating label, or hub of the motor. So if this fan is on the rear of the case the non-moving label faces the outside.

8. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. We got the instructions from
    the manufacturer and glued it in. Works fine.

Marianne

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/95225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice