1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Case Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AttackRabbit, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AttackRabbit

AttackRabbit Thread Starter

hello everyone. im looking into buying a new case for my computer. i currently have the stock case that came with my sony vaio pcv rx860. I was looking to get one of the more custom cases ive seen on the web. my main concerns are if the vaio components will be easily transferable to whichever custom case i end up choosing. as well , are there certain types of cases i need to stay away from or that i should look at specifically ? ive never changed the case on a computer before and the vaio i have has a very interesting way of opening up. is there a site or set of specifications i should follow before choosing my custom case ? thanks.

2. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Yeah I hate the sony cases, I think that they are the worse case setup I have ever seen. I don't think that there would be a problem transfering the parts.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Not knowing the inards of a Sony computer, here is a question you may need to address. Does sony use a proprietary motherboard? Or does it have what might be considered a standard ATX design. In otherwords do all the I/O ports exit the computer in the same fashion as say a Asus or Gigabyte board? Or are they like the compaq and H/P computers Totally dependant on a Sony Case? You may not be able to fit your mother board into a standard ATX case because of this. This can be one of the drawbacks to buying a "Name Brand" System then deciding to upgrade things.

4. AttackRabbit

excellent points. dustyjay, how do find out wether or not my motherboard is proprietary or standard atx

5. sorrento5

sorrento5

there is a way to tell. All of the ATX form factor boards have the same number of screws on the same positions on the board. You need to compare those screw positions in your sony to the standard ATX form factor positions. If they match you are OK.

Hope this helps.

I had this same problem and I everntually got a thrmalflake 1000a case (after copmparing all the features) which is a rock solid case, a little on the pricey side but you get what you pay for.

6. mhoydis

mhoydis

I tried looking on Sony's website and they definitely don't say what form factor their motherboards are.

Might wanna give em a ring on the tech support line.

7. AttackRabbit

yeah i definately called sony's so called " support number ". i requested the specific information you guys have been talking about. needless to say i was on the phone for the better part of 30 minutes to simply get the response that , " we dont know ". i was given some alternate url to visit that turned out to be as equally uniformative as the support number. i tried to look at the back of my computer case and see how everything was layed out, however i really have nothing to compare it to.ive got an old emahcines case in the closet, but again i dont know if that is standard atx or some other wierd set up. i emailed the manufacturer of one of the cases i was looking at and asked if they think the vaio motherboard will fit. the people at sony made it seem like there products are proprietary, which in that case would really bum me out. i hate this greyish , boring case and i really want to switch it , without having to custom build an entire new computer. :confused:

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    here is a thought. Look online for the case you think you would kind of like to have. See if there is a picture of the back of the case. and then se if your I/O ports match up to that. I will admit that I did look for your computer on the web but I didnt look too far and did not find a picture of the back of the case.

9. sorrento5

sorrento5

there are a number of thinks you can try to find out the size:

First, there are only 3 sizes for ATX boards.

1. High and Full tower size - this is the regular ATX

2. Mini Tower size - this is for the mini tower machiens called mini ATX

3. B ATx size - this is the smallest size

You should go to sites like www.TomsHardawre.com and follow the links to other sites that review machines. You can find a review of your machine and then determine the size. If you have a full size desktop then you know it is the standard ATX size.

Otherwise, do a web search on your brandname and then look for the reviews .

Hope this helps
    Sorrento

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/200842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice